- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 54 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 31, 2004
- Originally Released: 1943
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1943 -
Best Adapted or Musical Song/Score: Ray Heindorf
Description by OLDIES.com:
A handsome, young Ronald Reagan stars as Johnny Jones in the lavish World War II pep rally, This Is The Army
. Johnny is a strapping young lad torn between his strong sense of military duty and his burning passion for girlfriend Eileen Dibble (Joan Leslie). Uncle Sam's call to arms against Germany and Japan is too great and so Johnny sadly tells his lover that she must wait until after the war to become Mrs. Jones. Eileen then spurns her beau when he is inducted into the unit producing the soldier show, "This Is The Army." With Johnny's legendary song and dance star father, Jerry Jones (George Murphy), supervising the production, the make-shift troop of actors successfully rehearses a stage show of Irving Berlin's most famous showstoppers including "Oh, How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning!" and "God Bless America."
From Michael Curtiz, the talented director of Casablanca and Yankee Doodle Dandy, This Is The Army is a glance back into the hopes, fears and dreams of the "greatest generation."
Irving Berlin's musical tribute, THIS IS THE ARMY, honors the patriotic efforts of American soldiers during World Wars I and II. Berlin appears as himself, as does singer Kate Smith, who delivers a rousing rendition of "God Bless America" for which she received the Congressional Gold Medal. Academy Awards: Best Scoring of a Musical Picture.
World War II
- All the money raised from this film and the original stage production was donated to the Army Emergency Relief Fund. Warner Bros. waived its right to all profits. Many of the people who worked on the film gave their services for free.
- Songs featured: "This is the Army, Mr. Jones," "The Army's Made a Man Out of Me," "Oh, How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning," "God Bless America," "Mandy," ""I'm Getting Tired So I Can Sleep," "What the Well-Dressed Man in Harlem Will Wear," "Give a Cheer for the Navy," "I Left My Heart at the Stage Door Canteen," "American Eagles," "Poor Little Me, I'm on K.P.," "Your Country and My Country," "My Sweetie," "We're On Our Way to France," "What Does He Look Like," "Hunting Story," "Ladies of the Chorus," "With My Head in the Clouds," "This Time Is the Last Time."
- Irving Berlin was awarded the "Medal of Merit" for both the film and the musical on which it is based.
- Singer Kate Smith received the Congressional Gold Medal for her rendition of "God Bless America."
- Actor Ronald Reagan was a real-life army lieutenant at the time.
- Feature film debut for actors Warner Anderson and Henry Jones.
- Last screen appearance for actress Dolores Costello.
- Color by Technicolor.
- Additional credits: Robert Sidney (dances), Natalie Kalmus and Richard Mueller (Technicolor directors).
- Gertrude Niesen performs "Your Country and My Country."
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 46 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 17,734
- UPC: 089218603197
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item