- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 20 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 3, 2000
- Originally Released: 1985
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround - French
- Dolby Surround - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Footage
- Shorts: "Trick or Treat" starring Donald Duck
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Interactive Games: "Black Cauldron Mystery Game"
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Still Frame Gallery - Concept Art, Character Design Art, Production Stills
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 07/24/1985
"...Unique animation craft, especially in the beautiful pastoral sequences where every little leaf has a movement of its own..."
Los Angeles Times - 07/27/1985
"...If you care about animation as an art form, it is impossible not to be thrilled by Disney's THE BLACK CAULDRON..."
Young would-be warrior Taran searches for the titular magic vessel, lest it fall into the dastardly hands of the evil Horned King and allow him to summon an army of the undead. Fortunately, assisting in his quest are a feisty princess, the furry, friendly Gurgi, and psychic pig Hen Wen. Unusually dark but highly acclaimed Disney fare, released to video thirteen years after its theatrical run. Based on the juvenile fantasy novel by Lloyd Alexander; part of the "Chronicles of Prydain" series. Gold Collection Edition features a spooky bonus cartoon.
Description by Buena Vista Home Entertainment.:
The Black Cauldron
Disney's 25th full-length animated classic, THE BLACK CAULDRON, fills the screen with magic and wonder. This fun-filled tale of heroism overflows with colorful characters, trailblazing animation, and nonstop action. In the mystical land of Prydain, Taran, a young boy who dreams of a future as an invincible warrior, finds himself leading a real-life quest. In a race against the evil Horned King, Taran must be the first to find the mysterious Black Cauldron or the Horned King will unleash its power and take over the world. With the help of a magic sword, an enchanting princess, an adorable clairvoyant pig, and a furry little creature named Gurgi, Taran overcomes winged dragons, the King's monstrous henchmen, three batty witches, and more -- and learns nothing is as powerful as courage and friendship.
- Theatrical release: July 24, 1985.
- THE BLACK CAULDRON is the 25th full-length animated feature from Walt Disney Pictures.