Jeannie C. Riley Very Best of Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley P.T.A.
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$9.33 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.64 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Jeannie C. Riley scored a massive country and #1 Pop hit in 1968 with "Harper Valley PTA". The song went gold and won Riley a Country Vocal Grammy Award. She had continued success on the country charts in the late '60s and early '70s. Some of her biggest hits are included here.
- 1.Harper Valley P. T. A.
- 2.Before The Next Teardrop Falls
- 3.Wedding Cake
- 4.Duty Not Desire
- 5.Good Enough To Be Your Wife
- 6.A Real Woman
- 7.Girl Most Likely
- 8.Help Me Make It Through The Night
- 9.Roses And Thorns
- 10.Back Side Of Dallas
- 11.I'm The Woman That Belongs To Her Man
- 12.Things Go Better With Love
- 13.My Man
- 14.Oh Singer
- 15.Teardrops On Page Forty-Three
- 16.Country Girl
- 17.That's How It Is With Him And Me
- 18.I Love Him
- 19.Generation Gap
- 20.He Made a Woman Out of Me
- 22.I'm Only A Woman
- 23.There Never Was A Time
- 24.Macon County Bad Girl
Includes liner notes by Mark Marymont.
Known mostly for the number one pop and country hit "Harper Valley P.T.A.," Jeannie C. Riley made it big in Music City right when the Nashville sound starting showing a few crossover signs smacking of the psychedelic '60s. With a voice somewhere in the vicinity of Ann Margaret after years of booze and cigarettes, Riley offers up her own youth culture statement on "The Generation Gap" and sings of being down and out to the tune of an imitation electric sitar on "Backside of Dallas." Fat rock beats abound on cuts like "The Girl Most Likely" while the liberal revivalism of the Doobie Brothers' "Jesus Is Just Alright with Me" gets prefigured on the hilariously titled "Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up." Of course this a country collection, so Riley finds her trad voice on the pedal-steel weeper "Duty Not Desire" and the updated honky-tonk cut "Macon Georgia Bad Girl." Most impressive, though, are her forays into swamp country la Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billie Joe": look out for standouts like "He Made a Woman Out of Me" and a version of Kris Kristofferson's chestnut "Help Me Make It Through the Night." And there are 15 more equally enjoyable tracks on this Collectables collection, making it the best of the few compilations of Riley's prime cuts from 1968-1974. For those still a little unsettled at the thought of investigating later born-again titles like From Harper Valley P.T.A. to the Mountain Top, this ones for you. ~ Stephen Cook
Connie FrancisThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$6.74 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 13,480
- UPC: 090431602225
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Country Music America: Jeannie C. Riley / Faron Young /... (DVD)
$2.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY