Buck and the Preacher
Only 8 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.92 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.07 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
More products that might interest you:
- Classic Western Collection: 20 Full Color Vintage Movie Postcards ~ $9.98 (Save 33%)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 1, 1999
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Closed Captioned
- Dolby Digital Stereo Surround - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Production Notes
- Additional Products:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte & Ruby Dee|
|Performer:||Cameron Mitchell, Nita Talbot, Denny Miller & John Kelly|
|Directed by||Sidney Poitier|
|Edited by||Pembroke Herring|
|Screenwriting by||Ernest Kinoy|
|Composition by||Benny Carter|
|Produced by||Joel Glickman & Harry Belafonte|
|Director of Photography:||Alex Phillips, Jr.|
Sidney Poitier directs and stars in this all-black western about an ex-Union Army cavalry soldier leading a group of recently-freed slaves to the western frontier in post-Civil War America. Tagging along with Buck are his wife Ruth (Ruby Dee) and a con man disguised as a preacher (Harry Belafonte, in his first onscreen pairing with Poitier). The black homesteaders' progress is seriously impeded by a sadistic racist (Cameron Mitchell) and his band of murderous thugs who resent the slaves' newfound freedom and wish to send them back to a life of servitude and sharecropping in Louisiana. With equal parts drama and comedy--as well as Biblical allusions to the story of Exodus--Buck and his followers must summon all their courage to contend with the racists on their journey to freedom.
After the Civil War, a wagon driver named Buck and his devoted wife meet a con man posing as a preacher and together they guide a group of newly freed slaves out west in search of a homestead. But Louisiana labor recruiters prove menacing en route, riding like Klansmen to hunt down the train and its leader. But Buck and the Preacher join forces with American Indians to fight their common white foe, and eventually claim the promised land.
- "Buck and the Preacher" marks Sidney Poitier's directorial debut but it was the second western of his career. "Duel at Diablo," directed by Ralph Nelson in 1966, was Poitier's first.
- "Buck and the Preacher" was shot on location in Mexico.
10 Minute Solution - Belly, Butt & Thigh Blasters (Includes... (DVD)
$13.34 Super Savings
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 22 ratings.
Based on 22 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Attack of the 30's Characters - Cartoon Classics from All Eight Major American Animation Studios (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- 3 Pack Action: The Delta Force / Delta Force 2 / Code of Silence (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Chan Triple Feature: The Secret Service / The Chinese Cat / The Jade Mask (DVD) ~ $5.98 on SALE