- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 14, 1999
- Originally Released: 1974
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Mono 2.0 - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish, Korean, Chinese, Portuguese, Thai
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Trailer - A FEW GOOD MEN
- Bonus Trailer - AS GOOD AS IT GETS
- Bonus Trailer - WOLF
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Production Notes
- Biographies: Jack Nicholson - Star, Hal Ashby - Star, Randy Quaid - Star
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Cannes 1974 -
Best Actor: Jack Nicholson
Sight and Sound - 06/01/1974
"...[A] therapeutic and nicely wrought blow at the authorities..."
Total Film - 01/01/2001
"...It's the crew-cutted Nicholson who really stands out, giving one of the least mannered performances of his career....This is defining '70s cinema..."
After being convicted of petty thievery, a young sailor finds himself in the care of two escorts assigned to take him to military prison. But the journey turns out to be more leisurely than expected, with several side trips and extracurricular activities thrown in for good measure. As they travel, the three exchange confidences and become friends. By the time they have reached their destination, everyone has been changed permanently by the experience.
Essential Cinema |
- Theatrical release: December 12, 1973
- The film was shot on location in Washington, DC; New York; and Boston.
- THE LAST DETAIL marked the big screen debut for actress Nancy Allen.
- Look for Gilda Radner in a bit part.