- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 57 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: June 3, 2008
- Originally Released: 1983
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Documentary: "The Evolution of Clint Eastwood"
- Audio Commentary: Richard Schickel - Film Historian/Eastwood Biographer
- Trailers: Trailer Gallery
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Go ahead, make my day."
Variety - 12/07/1983
"...[The] action is put over with great force....Eastwood has all his moves down pat and is effective as always..."
Clint Eastwood is Detective Harry Callahan in SUDDEN IMPACT, the third sequel to DIRTY HARRY. This is probably the most violent film of the series. Here the brutal but effective Callahan is looking for a killer who shoots her male victims in the genitals. Jennifer Spencer (Sondra Locke) is tracking down the people responsible for raping her and her sister 10 years earlier, killing them one by one. Callahan is on the case, but will he stop her from meting out her own brand of justice, which is uncomfortably close to his own' Eastwood himself produced and directed this action-packed film in which Harry dodges so many different foes, the violence almost becomes cartoonish. The film is directed like a full-frontal assault, with Eastwood projecting his trademark toughness. The filmmakers also created a main villain so repellent that no comeuppance seems punishment enough.
Essential Cinema |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: August 1983.
- The film was shot on location in San Francisco and Santa Cruz, California.
- SUDDEN IMPACT was actress Sondra Locke's last costarring role with Clint Eastwood.
- Albert Popwell, who plays Harry's friend Horace, played villains in the three previous Harry Callahan movies--DIRTY HARRY, MAGNUM FORCE, and THE ENFORCER.
- "Go ahead. Make my day."--Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) goads an armed thug
- "We're not just gonna let you walk out of here."--Harry
"Who's 'we,' sucker'"--armed robber
"Smith, Wesson, and me."--Harry