Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Number of Discs: 5
- Rated: G
- Run Time: 2 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 21, 2014
- Originally Released: 1963
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Restored 4K digital film transfer of the general release version of the film, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New high-definition digital transfer of 197-minute extended version of the film, reconstructed and restored by Robert A. Harris using visual and audio material from the longer original road-show version - including some scenes that have been returned to the film here for the first time - with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New audio commentary featuring It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World aficionados Mark Evanier, Michael Schlesinger, and Paul Scrabo
- New documentary on the film's visual and sound effects, featuring interview with visual-effects specialist Craig Barron and sound designer Ben Burtt
- Except from a 1974 talk show hosted by director Stanley Kramer and featuring Mad World actors Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, and Jonathan Winters
- Press interview from 1963 featuring Kramer and cast members
- Excerpts about the influence of the film from the 2000 AFI program 100 Years...100 Laughs
- Two-part 1963 episode of the TV program Telescope that follows the film's press junket and premiere
- The Last 70 mm Film Festival, a 2012 program featuring Mad World cast and crew, hosted by actor Billy Crystal
- Selection of humorist and voice-over artist Stan Freberg's original TV and radio ads for the film, with a new introduction by Freberg
- Trailers and radio spots
- Two Blu-rays and three DVDs, with all content available in both formats
- PLUS: a booklet featuring an essay by film critic Lou Lumenick and new illustrations by legendary cartoonist Jack Davis, along with a map of the shooting locations by artist Dave Woodman
- Special Edition
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Milton Berle &
Edward Everett Horton &
Robert C. Jones &
Gene Fowler, Jr.
William Rose &
Art Direction by
The Three Stooges &
Director of Photography:
USA Today - 09/21/2001
"...[An] all-star epic....The film is also one of the zippiest of its length ever made..."
A.V. Club - 01/22/2014
"The sheer magnitude of the project lends it momentum, though, and there are enough giddy highs that it's had a strong cult following ever since its release in 1963."
New York Times - 02/06/2014
"The first film shot in the single-strip Ultra Panavision format, MAD WORLD echoes the episodic travelogue structure that the film historian John Belton sees as inherent to Cinerama."
Classic Fight Scenes |
Comedians / Comediennes |
Essential Cinema |
Road Movies |
- Theatrical Release: November 7, 1963.
- Jerry Lewis reportedly called director Stanley Kramer and asked why he wasn't cast in the film, and Kramer in turn gave him a cameo.
- Cameo appearances are also made by The Three Stooges and Jack Benny, among other popular comic personalities of the time.
- Directing a raucous comedy was a big departure for Stanley Kramer who was known for dramas like TO SIR WITH LOVE, INHERIT THE WIND, and GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER'
- The film is loved for its tongue-in-cheek humor such as a scene right at the start where Jimmy Durante dies while kicking a bucket.
- The DVD includes 30 minutes of extra material including outtakes and deleted scenes, as well as the theatrical trailer.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 230 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 103,804
- UPC: 715515112017
- Shipping Weight: 0.54/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 5 items