Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 2 hours, 21 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 26, 2009
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- DTS 5.1 Surround - French, Spanish
- DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 English
- Subtitles: English, SDH, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary with Director Gary Ross and Filmmaker Steven Soderbergh
- Bringing the Legend to Life: The Making of Seabiscuit
- Anatomy of a Movie Moment
- Seabiscuit: Racing Through History
- Photo Finish: Jeff Bridges' On the Set Photographs
- Seabiscuit vs. War Admiral, The 1938 Match Race
- Winners' Circle: The Heroes Behind the Legend
- The True Story of Seabiscuit
- HBO First Look
- BD Live - Generic Download Center
- Playstation 3 Controller
- User Guides - My Scenes, Registration, BD-Live
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 07/25/2003
"..[The film] beautifully re-creates everything from Acapulco's brutal racing scene to that celebrated match race..."
Variety - 07/21/2003
"...The immaculately-looking picture intercuts telling moments in the lives of the three men whose lives would intersect so decisively..."
Entertainment Weekly - 08/01/2003
"...Maguire uses his natural wariness like an all-purpose tool....When he's on a horse, Maguire becomes a different, energized animal -- and the whole movie surges ahead..."
USA Today - 07/25/2003
"...A coolly rendered, impressively crafted telling of a blood-stirring story..."
Rolling Stone - 08/21/2003
"...The races are tremendously exciting....Bridges anchors the film with simplicity and strength..."
Box Office - 09/01/2003
"...The camerawork, gorgeous throughout, is particularly thrilling in the pic's racing scenes..."
Film Comment - 11/01/2003
"...It's beautifully detailed and it boasts some truly eye-popping racing sequences..."
Sight and Sound - 12/01/2003
"The three leads all give careful, affecting performances..."
Premiere - 12/01/2005
"[Bridges] projects a winning affability and intrinsic decency."
Laura Hillenbrand's best-selling nonfiction novel comes to life with this spectacular big-screen adaptation. Set in the 1930s, SEABISCUIT weaves its story around three men who turned a seemingly untamable horse into a bona fide champion. Jeff Bridges is Charles Howard, a thriving entrepreneur who gives horse racing a shot when his wife leaves him after the death of their son. Chris Cooper is Tom Smith, a mumbling, sensitive horse trainer who sees the untapped potential of Seabiscuit hiding under his flawed outer shell. Tobey Maguire is Red Pollard, a stubborn, oversized jockey who is determined to prove to the world that he has what it takes to be a champion. Together, these men use their individual gifts to mold Seabiscuit into a national icon, culminating in a showdown with Triple Crown winner War Admiral. But when Red breaks his leg riding another horse, Howard must call in George Woolf (played by real life jockey Gary Stevens) to keep the dream alive.
In adapting Hillenbrand's celebrated novel, writer-director Gary Ross condensed many of the book's characters and events yet his film retains the inspirational spirit of the source material, resulting in a crowd-pleasing, feel-good drama that will have audiences cheering all the while.
- Theatrical Release: July 25, 2003