The Velvet Underground White Light / White Heat [Super Deluxe Edition] (3-CD + Book)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$88.25 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$11.73 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: December 10, 2013
- Originally Released: 2013
- Label: Polydor / Umgd
Rolling Stone - 4/11/02, p.105Ranked #1 in Rolling Stone's "50 Coolest Records" - "...Sublimely beautiful rock & roll noise..."
SpinIncluded in Spin's list of the Top Ten College Cult Classics - "...arguably the best, and at very least the most intense, V.U. work ever waxed."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.52Ranked #13 in Mojo's "The 50 Most Out There Albums Of All Time" - "The Velvet's second album contained their noisiest, over-amped feedback-ridden distortion and lyrical outrage."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.White Light/White Heat
- 2.The Gift
- 3.Lady Godiva's Operation
- 4.Here She Comes Now
- 5.I Heard Her Call My Name
- 6.Sister Ray
- 7.I Heard Her Call My Name (Alternate Take)
- 8.Guess I'm Falling In Love (Instrumental Version)
- 9.Temptation Inside Your Heart (Original Mix)
- 10.Stephanie Says (Original Mix)
- 11.Hey Mr. Rain (Version One)
- 12.Hey Mr. Rain (Version Two)
- 13.Beginning To See The Light (Early Version)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.White Light/White Heat (Mono Version)
- 2.The Gift (Mono Version)
- 3.Lady Godiva's Operation (Mono Version)
- 4.Here She Comes Now (Mono Version)
- 5.I Heard Her Call My Name (Mono Version)
- 6.Sister Ray (Mono Version)
- 7.White Light/White Heat (Mono Single Mix)
- 8.Here She Comes Now (Mono Single Mix)
- 9.The Gift (Vocal Version)
- 10.The Gift (Instrumental)
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Booker T. (Live At The Gymnasium, New York City, April 30, 1967)
- 2.I'm Not A Young Man Anymore (Live At The Gymnasium, New York City, April 30, 1967)
- 3.Guess I'm Falling In Love (Live At The Gymnasium, New York City, April 30, 1967)
- 4.I'm Waiting For The Man (Live At The Gymnasium, New York City, April 30, 1967)
- 5.Run Run Run (Live At The Gymnasium, New York City, April 30, 1967)
- 6.Sister Ray (Live At The Gymnasium, New York City, April 30, 1967)
- 7.The Gift (Live At The Gymnasium, New York City, April 30, 1967)
Velvet Underground: Lou Reed (vocals, guitar, piano); Sterling Morrison (vocals, guitar, bass); John Cale (vocals, electric viola, organ, bass); Maureen Tucker (percussion).
Personnel: Lou Reed (vocals, guitar, piano); Sterling Morrison (vocals, guitar); John Cale (vocals, electric viola, organ); Maureen Tucker (percussion).
Recording information: Mayfair Recording Studios, New York (04/30/1967); T.T.G. Studios, Hollywood, CA (04/30/1967); The Gymnasium, New York (04/30/1967); Mayfair Recording Studios, New York (05/29/1968); T.T.G. Studios, Hollywood, CA (05/29/1968); The Gymnasium, New York (05/29/1968); Mayfair Recording Studios, New York (09/1967); T.T.G. Studios, Hollywood, CA (09/1967); The Gymnasium, New York (09/1967).
Photographers: Sal Mercuri; Johan Kugelberg; Jeff Gold; Billy Name; Jonathan Richman; Chris Van Tuyll; Richie Unterberger.
WHITE LIGHT/WHITE HEAT, the Velvet Underground's second album, is the band at their most calculated and perverse, but also shows another side. It is a glimpse of the more accessible rock which Lou Reed wrote, but wasn't fully comfortable with until the group's third album. WHITE LIGHT/WHITE HEAT also introduced guitar sounds and production so abrasive that the feel wasn't duplicated until even punk had matured into New York's downtown art/noise scene nearly twenty years later.
WHITE LIGHT/WHITE HEAT is an exhausting exercise in opposites. The aching beauty of "Here She Comes Now" features a delicate guitar melody and Reed's most innocent vocals since the debut's "Sunday Morning"; it sniffs around Lou's taste for ballads, but throws in the cruel "oh she looks so good/oh she's made out of wood" refrain for effect. The title track would even be playful if not for the instrumental speed rushes and vocal harmonies so discordant they're sinister. It also turns out to be a perfect primer for "Sister Ray," a depraved freak show of prostitutes, junkies and what happens when the cops come banging at the door. Musically, "Sister Ray" is a jarring guitar crash, clocking in at 17:25, fully showing the Velvet's musical ferociousness. As organ washes clash with jagged locomotive guitars, Reed whirls off descriptions of sailors and transsexuals who "want to know a way to earn a dollar." Such snapshots into the Velvet Underground's twin sides make WHITE LIGHT/WHITE HEAT indispensable.
Enjoy the Experience: Homemade Records 1958-1992 (2-CD)
$16.07 Super Savings
New York DollsFrench Kiss '74 / Actress: Birth of the New York Dolls...
Manic Street PreachersGeneration Terrorists [20th Anniversary Deluxe Legacy Ed.]...
$23.45 Super Savings
Eric ClaptonGive Me Strength: The '74/'75 Recordings (5-CD + Blu-ray)
$79.99 Super Savings
Andy Warhol - Amerykanski Mit (American Myth) [Import] (CD)
$8.95 on SALE
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 186 ratings.
Based on 186 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Enchantment Golden Classics, Featuring "Gloria" (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE