The Adventures of Tartu
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 24, 2009
- Originally Released: 1943
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Robert Donat, Valerie Hobson & Glynis Johns|
|Performer:||Walter Rilla, Glynis Johns & Valerie Hobson|
|Directed by||Harold S. Bucquet|
Description by OLDIES.com:
The Adventures of Tartu is stylishly directed by Harold S. Bucquet and boasts an outstanding cast. Robert Donat appeared in many classic films including The 39 Steps (1935), The Citadel (1938) and Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939) which won him a Best Actor Oscar. Beautiful Valerie Hobson had two horrifying screen marriages (Bride Of Frankenstein, 1935 and Werewolf of London, 1935) but is probably best remembered for steadfast loyalty to her real-life husband in Britain's Perfumo scandal. A very young Glynis Johns appears as the doomed factory worker.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Robert Donat as a British secret agent is infiltrated into German occupied Czechoslovakia. His mission: destroy a hugh Nazi complex that is manufacturing a deadly poison gas. Disguised as a mmeber of the Romanian Iron guard, he succeeds in dstroying his objective. Valerie Hobson plays a Czech who appears at first to be a Nazi sympathizer but she shows her true alleginces and helps Tatru. One of the best parts of the film is watching a young Glynis Johns. What a beautiful woman and great actress she was! If you like WWII films, this is a must see flick.
During World War II, no one made war movies better than MGM ("Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo", "They Were Expendable", "Purple Heart"--the list goes on and on). Add this British-made spy drama to the roster of solid MGM hits. Robert Donat plays a double agent sent into a Czech war plant to interupt production. Donat's performance is exceptional and young Glynis John shows up as a war-worker. The sets are very elaborate and the 1960s movie "Operation Crossbow" owes a lot to Tartu. Good solid, entertainment.
- Sales Rank: 6,168
- UPC: 089218593795
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE