Doc & Merle Watson Lonesome Road / Look Away!
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$15.54 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.44 (18% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 3, 2002
- Label: Southern Music Dist.
- 1.I Recall a Gypsy Woman
- 2.Minglewood Blues
- 3.Mean Mama Blues
- 4.Look up Look Down That Lonesome Road
- 5.My Creole Belle
- 6.Blue Railroad Train
- 7.Ain't Nobody's Fault But Mine
- 8.Stone Wall (Around Your Heart)
- 9.I Ain't Going Honky-Tonki' Anymore
- 10.Broomstraw Philosphers and Scuppernong Wine
- 11.Florida Blues
- 12.Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
- 13.My Love Come Rolling Down
- 14.Gypsy Davie
- 15.'Rangement Blues
- 16.You Two-Timed Me One Time Too Often
- 17.Blues in My Mind
- 18.It's a Crazy World
- 19.Under the Double Eagle
- 20.God Holds the Future
- 22.New Born King - (bonus track)
- 23.Peace in the Valley - (bonus track)
Adapters: Doc Watson; Lauber.
Personnel: Doc Watson (vocals, guitar, acoustic guitar, harmonica); Merle Watson (guitar, acoustic guitar, slide guitar, dobro); Johnny Gimble (fiddle); Gove Scrivenor (harmonica); Bob Wilson (piano); T. Michael Coleman (electric bass); Karl Himmel (drums, shaker); Jim Isbell (drums, percussion); Pebble Daniel, Lisa Silver, Marcia Routh (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: William "Bleu" Evans.
Recording information: Soundshop STudio, Nashville, TN (01/1978-02/1978); Studio In The Country, Bogalusa, LA (01/1978-02/1978).
Illustrator: Gary Panter.
Photographer: Jim McGuire .
Arrangers: Doc Watson; Lauber.
Doc Watson's United Artists Records catalog (long-since acquired by EMI) was tapped for two compilations in the fall of 2002, this two-fer combining his 1977 album Lonesome Road and his 1978 album Look Away!, licensed by Southern Music Distribution, and Songs From Home on EMI's Capitol Records label. The flurry of activity can be traced to the success of the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack, with its traditional country and bluegrass music. That's ironic, given that Watson's tenure at UA in the 1970s came due to the success of an earlier traditional country collection, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will the Circle Be Unbroken album, on which he appeared. The record business is nothing if not trendy, but if that's what it takes to bring two albums as enjoyable as Lonesome Road and Look Away! back into print, so be it. Watson is, of course, joined by his son, Merle Watson, on both releases, as well as by small bands that give the tracks a rocking punch. He essays a variety of country and folk standards, including Mississippi John Hurt's "My Creole Belle" (the only track that overlaps with Songs From Home) and Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right." The disc ends with two previously unreleased bonus tracks, "New Born King" and "Peace in the Valley," both of them gospel songs on which Watson is joined by an orchestra and choir. The tracks are not consistent with the feistier material from the original LPs, but they are warmly and sincerely performed and provide a reverent coda to an excellent collection. ~ William Ruhlmann
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE