Nite Spots Blues
by Various Artists
- Released: December 15, 1998
- Label: Krazy Kat
- 1.Mama's Gone Goodbye - Bob Dunn's Vagabonds
- 2.Boojie Woo Blues - Ross Rhythm Rascals
- 3.Jitterbug Katy - Ocie Stockard & His Wanderers
- 4.Soldier Boy Stomp - Lew Preston & His Men Of The Range
- 5.Let Me Bring It to Your Door - Shelly Lee Alley & His Alley Cats
- 6.Wanderer's Stomp - The Wanderers
- 7.There's Gonna Be No Me to Welcome You - Ross Rhythm Rascals
- 8.Cheatin' on Me - Jimmy Hart & His Merrymakers
- 9.Come on and Swing Me - Adolph Hofner & His Texans
- 10.Sluefoot on the Levee - Light Crust Doughboys
- 11.Swing Baby Swing - Blue Ridge Playboys
- 12.Keep Your Nose Out of Daddy's Business - Blue Ridge Playboys
- 13.June Tenth Blues - The Three Virginians
- 14.Nite Spot Blues - Universal Cowboys
- 15.Tell Me Dear (Don't You Care) - Dickie McBride & The Village Boys
- 16.Never Slept Last Night - Modern Mountaineers
- 17.Polecat Stomp - Leon Pappy Selph & His Blue Ridge Playboys
- 18.Must I Hesitate? (The Hesitation Blues) - Bill Boyd's Cowboys
- 19.Tea For Two - Light Crust Doughboys
- 20.Waitin' at the End of the Road - Texas Wanderers
- 21.I'm Still in Love With You - Shelly Lee Alley & His Alley Cats
- 22.Ben Wheeler Stomp - Leon's Lone Star Cowboys
- 23.Blues - Alabama Boys (previously unreleased)
- 24.Frankie & Johnny - Alabama Boys (previously unreleased)
- 25.Mama Don't Allow - Alabama Boys (previously unreleased)
- 26.Jo Jo - Texas Wanderers
- 27.Goin' up to Dallas - Leon's Lone Star Cowboys
- 28.Bugle Call Rag - Light Crust Doughboys (previously unreleased)
Includes liner notes by Kevin Coffey.
Personnel: Dick Reinhart, Adolph Hofner (vocals, guitar); Leon Selph, J.R. Chatwell (vocals, fiddle); Jerry Irby, Shelly Lee Alley (vocals); Jimmy Thomason (guitar, fiddle); Dickie McBride, Gene Sullivan, Derwood Brown, Leon Chappelear, Roy Newman, Bill Boyd, Buddy Ray (guitar); Bob Dunn (steel guitar); Gus Plant, Howard Oliver, Marvin Montgomery (tenor banjo); Cliff Bruner, Earl Caruthers, Kenneth Pitts, Joe Holley, Jesse Ashlock, Jimmy Hall, Ocie Stockard, Darrell Kirkpatrick, Cecil Brower (fiddle); Holly Horton (clarinet); Chuck Adams, Frank Reneau, Mancel Tierney (piano).
Liner Note Author: Kevin Coffey.
Recording information: Blue Bon (06/26/1929-04/01/1941); Jefferson Hotel, Dallas, TX (06/26/1929-04/01/1941); Rice Hotel, Houston, TX (06/26/1929-04/01/1941); San Antonio, TX (06/26/1929-04/01/1941); Texas Hotel, San Antonio, TX (06/26/1929-04/01/1941); Tulsa, OK (06/26/1929-04/01/1941).
Unknown Contributor Roles: The Alabama Boys; Lew Preston and his Men of the Range; Ross Rhythm Rascals.
This collection fills in the gaps left by Krazy Kat's previous compilations, Diggin' (KK 24) and Jitterbug Jive (KK 19). Most of these tracks come from the '30s when Western swing was at its most vital. Although a good collection, it is obviously targeted toward folks who are already converts to the genre. It does not concern itself with presenting the best and the brightest, but with giving a good overview of the state of the music during those years. Thus, if one is trying to turn someone onto Western swing, one would be better off having them listen to a good Bob Wills or Milton Brown compilation. When there are 28 tracks to fill, it's not easy to come up with selections of equal quality. Therefore, this is not as energetic and involving as earlier compilations from Rambler (Hot as I Am, Devil with the Devil, Texas Sand). However, this CD is sure to please hardcore fans. It includes rare tracks from transcriptions and acetates that would be otherwise hard to find. Most importantly, it does not leave you hanging by including tracks from obscure groups and not telling you any information about them. Nite Spot Blues has 27 pages of liner notes, band photos, session rosters and a detailed bibliography. One might need a score sheet to keep track of the shifting personnel, but record hounds always prefer a surfeit of information to a dirth. ~ Megan Lynch
Chet Atkins And His Guitar / The Guitar Genius (CD)(5)
$1.98 on SALE
But What Will The Neighbors Think / Rodney Crowell (CD)(9)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!