Bobby Womack The Poet I & II
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 28, 2013
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Abkco
- 1.So Many Sides Of you
- 2.Lay Some Lovin On Me
- 4.Just My Imagination
- 5.Stand Up
- 7.If You Think You're Lonely Now
- 8.Where Do We Go From Here
- 9.Love Has Finally Come At Last
- 10.It Takes A Lot Of Strength To Say Goodbye
- 11.Through The Eyes Of A Child
- 12.Surprise Surprise
- 13.Tryin To Get Over Youi
- 14.Tell Me Why
- 15.Who's Foolin Who
- 16.I Wish I Had Someone To Go Home To
- 17.American Dream
Personnel: Bobby Womack (vocals, various instruments, guitar, background vocals); Friendly Womack, Cecil Womack (vocals, various instruments, background vocals); Jon Rami, Johnny Parham, Richard Griffin (vocals, various instruments); Fernando Harkless (vocals, horns); Johnny Parham, Jon Rami, Patti LaBelle (vocals); Courtney Sappington, David T. Walker, George Benson , Robert Palmer (guitar); Dorothy Ashby (harp); Rusty Hamilton (harmonica, synthesizer); Thurmon Green, Sidney Mulgrow, Sidney Mulgrow, Fred Wesley, Harry Kim, Thurman Green, Wilton Felder (horns); Dale Ramsey, Patrick Moten, Michael Wycoff, Dale Ramsey (keyboards); James W. Alexander, David Miller (synthesizer); David Sheilds , Nathan East (bass instrument); James Gadson (drums, background vocals); Fred Johnson (drum machine); Regina Womack (hand claps, background vocals); Vincent Womack, Tondalei, Sally Womack, Vincent Womack, Sally Womack (hand claps); Eddie Brown, Paulinho Da Costa, Eddie "Bongo" Brown (percussion); Curtis Womack, Kathy Bloxson, Thel Waters, Kathy Bloxson, The Waters, The Valentinos (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Barney Perkins.
Recording information: Hit City West; Kendun Studios, Burbank, CA.
Photographers: Norman Seeff; Moshe Brakha.
Arranger: Bobby Womack.
Though Bobby Womack's star rose high during the first half of the 1970s, the second half found the hits coming few and far between for him. However, THE POET, his first album of the '80s, marked a comeback for Womack. He entered the new era with his raw, soulful vocal style intact, but he began to mix it with synthesizer and other contemporary flavors, polishing up his sound just enough to have an impact on R&B radio, but not so much as to alienate his old fans. Along with songwriting cohort Jim Ford, he penned tunes that perfectly toed the line between idiosyncrasy and commercial appeal, making for one of the high points of his later work.
Like its predecessor, THE POET II combines Womack's raw soul with crisp, slick, contemporary production, but it goes a bit further towards the polished side. A couple of tracks move in a disco direction, with full-on dance-floor-directed arrangements. The most impressive cuts here (and unsurprisingly the biggest hits) are the the duets with soul queen Patti LaBelle. While THE POET II did well, it failed to match the commercial success of THE POET, which Womack would in fact never surpass.
Bobby Womack / J.J. JohnsonAcross 110th Street (Original Motion Picture Score)
Bobby WomackThe Best of Bobby Womack [EMI-Capitol Special Markets]
$5.02 Super Savings
Bobby WomackThe Facts of Life / I Don't Know What the World Is Coming To
$12.41 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD)
$11.65 Super Savings
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- War Me And Baby Brother / Ballero (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The Gap Band Early In The Morning / Open Your Mind (Wide) (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Tony! Toni! Toné! Feels Good / Little Walter (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Playlist: Very Best Of (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Drifters There Goes My Baby: 10-Song Collection (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE