- Released: January 5, 1998
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The former lead singer of The Genies, Roy C (born Roy Charles Hammond), is one of the most prolific artists in the history of recorded music. He's been laying down tracks and releasing an incredible amount of music for more than forty years. He scored a number of hits and had a strong following in the R&B world, which is evidenced by the down-and-gritty cuts on this album.
- 1.Got To Get Enough (Of Your Sweet Love Stuff)
- 2.I'm Falling In Love Again
- 3.Those Days Are Gone
- 4.I Wasn't There (But I Can Feel The Pain)
- 5.I'm Bustin' My Rocks (Working On The Chain Gang)
- 6.I'm Gonna Love Somebody Else's Woman (Somebody's Lovin Mine)
- 7.Don't Blame The Man
- 8.I Found A Man In My Bed
- 9.She Kept On Walkin'
- 10.Back Into My Arms
- 11.Open Letter To The President
- 12.I'll Never Leave You Lonely
- 13.If I Could Love You Forever
- 14.Loneliness Has Got A Hold On Me
Also available on CD on Ripete [90431 5865].
Sex & Soul was the first album of pure funky soul that Roy C recorded in the early '70s. Sounding like a cross between the deep soul of Otis Redding and the smooth production of early-'70s soul, Roy C sings with grit and passion, investing these songs with true soul. None of the songs are below par, and some are forgotten gems, such as the singles "Got to Get Enough (Of Your Sweet Love Stuff)" and "Don't Blame the Man." All of the songs are delivered with fiery conviction from Mr. C, making it one of the most underrated soul albums of the early '70s. Collectables' reissue makes it even better by adding the singles "If I Could Love You Forever" and "Loneliness Has Got a Hold On Me." ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine