Written In Chalk
|You Save:||$1.19 (7% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 9, 2009
- Label: New West Records
Rolling Stone - p.774 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he real star is Buddy, who brings a poet's knack for fresh imagery to songs of spiritual thirst and romantic strife."
Spin - p.80"WRITTEN IN CHALK sounds like a breakup record, with the Millers picking through an emotional boneyard of broken promises, shattered hearts, and spiritual uncertainty."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1094 stars out of 5 -- "Julie wrote most of the songs, most are country ballads -- sentimental, heartfelt and tend towards the sacred."
Paste (magazine) (p.58) - "There's a soul-clasped gut intuition to the way their voices dance about one another that just breaks your heart."
- 1.Ellis County
- 2.Gasoline And Matches
- 3.Don't Say Goodbye - (featuring Patty Griffin)
- 4.What You Gonna Do Leroy - (featuring Robert Plant)
- 5.Long Time
- 6.One Part, Two Part - (featuring Regina McCrary)
- 7.Chalk - (featuring Patty Griffin)
- 8.Everytime We Say Goodbye
- 9.Hush, Sorrow - (featuring Regina McCrary)
- 10.Memphis Jane
- 12.Selfishness In Man, The - (featuring Emmylou Harris)
Personnel: Buddy Miller (vocals, guitar, background vocals); Emmylou Harris, Julie Miller, Patty Griffin, Ann McCrary, Regina McCrary (vocals, background vocals); Robert Plant (vocals); Russ Pahl (steel guitar); Gurf Morlix (lap steel guitar); Larry Campbell (mandolin, violin, fiddle); Stuart Duncan (fiddle); Kami Lyle (trumpet); John Deaderick (piano, keyboards); Matt Rollings (piano); Rev. Brady Blade, Bryan Owings, Jay Bellerose (drums).
Liner Note Author: Grant Alden.
Recording information: Dogtown Studio, Nashville, TN (2008); The Molson Amphitheater, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (2008).
The fourth official duo album by Nashville singer-songwriters Buddy and Julie Miller (although each always appears on the other's nominally solo albums as well), WRITTEN IN CHALK is as pleasantly evanescent as its title. Like Robert Plant and Alison Krauss's RAISING SAND as re-interpreted by the Band circa MUSIC FROM BIG PINK, there is an off the cuff, loosey-goosey feel to these songs that only serves to improve them. Plant makes a guest vocal appearance on the sly shuffle "Whatcha Gonna Do, Leroy," and Emmylou Harris sings a haunting duet with Julie Miller on "The Selfishness Of Man."
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 26 ratings.
Based on 26 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- George Jones / Tammy Wynette Golden Ring / Near You (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- The Browns Complete As & Bs and More 1954 - 62 (CD) ~ $14.22 LABOR DAY
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE