Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 26, 2013
- Originally Released: 1981
- Label: Shout Factory
- Note: Audio Commentary
- New interviews with Writer/Director George A. Romero, Tom Savini and Ed Harris
- Theatrical trailer
- TV spots
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I'm not trying to be a hero. I'm fighting the dragon!"
- Sir William [Ed Harris) to his followers
New York Times - 04/17/1981
"...A tonic....KNIGHTRIDERS has something for everyone..."
In George Romero's KNIGHTRIDERS, Sir William (Ed Harris) and his followers exist in a Camelot-like utopian state of their own devise, separate from mainstream society. Travelling from town to town and putting on a medieval circus and renaissance fair, they hold jousting matches on motorcycles, complete with full suits of armor. Within their isolated society, however, there are problems--Morgan (make-up effects artist Tom Savini) wants badly to usurp William's King Arthur-like position as the leader of the troupe. William's struggle to lead his followers on an honorable path also comes up against a serious obstacle when the media come calling and attempt to turn the troupe into celebrities, thus compromising all that they believe in.
Following his apocalyptic zombie classic, DAWN OF THE DEAD, Romero took a reprieve from the horror game with this singular character study, which just happens to have a good deal of motorcycle stuntwork thrown in for good measure. Written by Romero himself, this lengthy--but original--film is notable for its worthwhile sentiments on staying true to one's self, as well as a fine early perfomance by Harris.
A motorcycle gang that patterns itself after medieval knights travels the countryside staging renaissance festivals in director George A.Romero's surprisingly non-horrific KNIGHTRIDERS. Their success leads to a wave of unwanted media attention and a battle for control within the group, leading to a climactic series of duels.
Theatrical Release |
- Filmed in Fawn Township, Pennsylvania.
- Some fans and writers believe KNIGHTRIDERS is an allegory for director George Romero's career as an independent filmmaker.
- Stephen King and his wife Tabitha have cameos as spectators at the jousting matches..
- Reknowed guitar player Bill Frisell plays on the soundtrack.