Oliver Twist (Silent)
Jackie Coogan (as Oliver Twist) and the man of a thousand faces, Lon Chaney (as Fagin), star in this classic silent version of Dickens' famous novel.
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 14 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: July 7, 2009
- Originally Released: 1922
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
- (unspecified) - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Lon Chaney & Jackie Coogan|
|Performer:||Gladys Brockwell, George Siegmann, Esther Ralston & Jackie Coogan|
|Directed by||Frank Lloyd|
|Story by||Charles Dickens|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Lon Chaney, "The Man Of A Thousand Faces," stars with Jackie Coogan in this spectacular 1922 interpretation of Charles Dickens' immortal classic, Oliver Twist.Orphaned at birth, Oliver Twist toils in the workhouse under brutal conditions while he and his fellow inmates struggle to avoid starvation. Oliver manages to escape to the bitter streets of London's slums. "The Artful Dodger," an older lad, finds the homeless Oliver and offers him food and lodging. The Dodger takes Oliver to the lair of Fagin, a heinous old man who teaches his young wards the art of pickpocketing. While Oliver's life spins downward into depravity, the mystery of his origins will bring a glimmer of hope and salvation to the resilient and resourceful boy.
Lon Chaney portrays the frightful, despicable Fagin in this richly atmospheric screen adaptation of Charles Dickens's OLIVER TWIST. Jackie Coogan stars as the irrepressible waif in 19th-century England whose adventures lead him from undernourished orphan to undertaker's apprentice, from novice pickpocket to pampered youth. Faithful in spirit and letter to Dickens's immortal story, OLIVER TWIST is an exquisitely designed film, re-creating with painterly care the firelit chambers, sepulchral basements, and sordid slums that confine its menagerie of eccentric and pathetic personages. Perhaps OLIVER TWIST is most notable for its talented cast of supporting players--who offer a kaleidoscopic view of the gifted artists whose company Chaney shared while establishing himself as a featured player in early 1920s Hollywood. With his pinched face, hooked nose, perpetual stoop, and trembling, clawlike hands, Chaney's rag-enshrouded Fagin is an unforgettable figure who adds immeasurably to the flavor of the narrative without resorting to the racial stereotypes of Dickens's text.
Jackie Coogan and Lon Chaney star in this classic silent version of Dicken's famous novel
Frank Lloyd's film is a silent version of Charles Dickens's novel about a young orphan boy adrift in London's cutthroat underworld. It stars Jackie Coogan as Oliver and a well-disguised Lon Chaney as Fagin.
British | Poverty | Silent | Vintage
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 3,526
- UPC: 089218584991
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE