Tune Wranglers 1936-1938
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$15.39 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.59 (19% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 17, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Krazy Kat
No Depression - 7-8/01, pp.113-4"...A jazzy, semi-crazed cowboy band....The accent on playful, charming crowd-pleasing, and they surely did that..."
- 1.It Was Midnight on the Ocean
- 2.They Go Wild Over Me
- 3.El Rancho Grande
- 4.Texas Sand
- 5.My Sweet Thing
- 6.Sarah Jane
- 7.Red's Tight Like That
- 8.I Can't Change It
- 9.Ragtime Cowboy Joe
- 10.I'm Wild About That Thing
- 11.She's Sweet
- 12.Lonesome Blues
- 13.Up Jumped the Devil
- 14.I'll Be Hanged If They're Gonna Hang Me
- 15.I Believe in You
- 16.Oh, Look at That Baby
- 17.I Wish You Were Jealous of Me
- 19.Hot Peanuts
- 20.Let's Go
- 21.Rodeo Rose
- 22.Get With It
- 23.It Don't Mean a Thing
- 24.Black-Eyed Susan Brown
- 25.Cowboys and Indians
- 27.Sweet Fiddle Blues
Tune Wranglers includes: Eddie Fielding, Tom Dickey, Charley Gregg, Buster Coward.
Recorded between 1936 & 1938. Includes liner notes by Andrew Brown.
Digitally remastered by Charlie Crump.
Audio Remasterer: Charlie Crump.
Recording information: Blue Bonnet Hotel, San Antonio, TX (02/27/1936-10/25/1938); Texas Hotel, San Antonio, TX (02/27/1936-10/25/1938).
One of the earliest and most entertaining Western swing groups, the Tune Wranglers specialized in both cowboy music and raucous, 1920s-style jazz and blues. Concerning the latter, they were among the greatest groups of their day, turning out exciting, swinging material that was the equal of Bob Wills in daring if not quality. The group's rowdy banter and call-and-response harmonizing are immensely entertaining, reminiscent of the Maddox Brothers & Rose and early Bill Monroe. This is especially true of the sides featuring pianist Eddie Whitley, a master of barrelhouse jazz who could turn any old song into a hard-swinging good time. All told, this is a fairly astonishing listen featuring the group's only hit, "Texas Sand," and other splendid moments such as "El Rancho Grande," "Red's Tight Like That," and the twisted novelty "Sarah Jane." ~ Jim Smith
Milton BrownComplete Recordings of the Father of Western Swing 1932-37...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE