The Stanley Brothers Earliest Recordings: Complete Rich-R-Tone 78s (1947-1952) [Revenant]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$15.08 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.90 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Stanley Brothers ~ Complete Columbia Recordings ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by The Stanley Brothers ~ The Complete Mercury Recordings (2-CD) ~ $8.84
- by John Fahey ~ Death Chants, Breakdowns and Military Waltzes [CD] ~ $10.56
- by The Stanley Brothers ~ An Evening Long Ago: Live 1956 ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by John Fahey ~ The Yellow Princess [Bonus Tracks] ~ $16.18
- Released: July 15, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Revenant Records
Spin - 4/98, p.130"...collects 14 ancient sides by these protean explorers of the hot, sad art of bluegrass, complete with an extremely well-researched book that appeals to the Greil Marcus inside us all..."
Dirty Linen - 12/97-1/98, p.80"...the earliest recordings of the Stanley Brothers reveal a startingly good bluegrass band....Originally recorded in the late 40s and early 50s, for the Rich-R-Tone label, this release is an invaluable addition to [their] remarkable body of work..."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1104 stars out of 5 - "Ralph and late Carter Stanley are heroes to Bob Dylan and one of the most important bluegrass acts ever."
- 1.Molly and Tenbrooks
- 2.The Rambler's Blues
- 3.Mother No Longer Awaits Me
- 4.The Girl Behind the Bar
- 5.Little Maggie
- 6.The Little Glass of Wine
- 7.Our Darling's Gone
- 8.The Jealous Lover
- 9.I Can Tell You the Time
- 10.Little Birdie
- 11.Little Glass of Wine - (Alt. Version)
- 12.Death Is Only a Dream
- 13.Little Girl and the Dreadful Snake
- 14.Are You Waiting Just for Me
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
EARLIEST RECORDINGS features 14 songs released as 78s by the duo from 1947 until 1952.
The Stanley Brothers: Ralph Stanley (vocals); Darrell "Pee Wee" Lambert, Jim Williams (mandolin); Art Wooten, Art Stamper, Leslie Keith (fiddle); Ray Lambert (bass instrument); Carter Stanley.
Personnel: Carter Stanley (vocals, guitar); Ralph Stanley (tenor, banjo).
Liner Note Author: Gary B. Reid.
Recording information: 1947-1952.
Along with Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys, the Stanley Brothers are one of the greatest of the bluegrass harmony acts. Led by Carter's lead croon and guitar, and abetted by Ralph's high-lonesome tenor and fierce banjo playing, the Stanleys started to lay down their enduring legacy on the Rich-R-Tone in the late 1940s, and those early recordings are captured here on this fine collection.
The material is comprised of a smattering of gospel numbers, as well as songs that would become central to the Stanley Brothers' repertoire (including "Little Maggie" and "The Little Glass of Wine"). There are also a few uptempo bluegrass jams that allow the brothers to show off their chops. Though the sound quality of these historic 78s can occasionally leave something to be desired, that's to be expected (the oldest ones among them date to 1947), and the enjoyment they bring will ultimately outweigh any knee-jerk audiophile reactions.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE