Curly Seckler That Old Book of Mine
- Released: September 26, 2005
- Originally Released: 2013
- Label: County Records
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Moonlight On My Cabin
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Thinking About You
- $0.99 on iTunes3.No Mother In This World
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Some Old Day
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Salty Dog Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes6.You Took My Sunshine
- $0.99 on iTunes7.We Can't Be Darlings Anymore
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Remember The Cross
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Little Pal
- $0.99 on iTunes10.That Old Book Of Mine
- $0.99 on iTunes11.No Mother Or Dad
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Give Me The Roses While I Live
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Don't This Road Look Rough And Rocky
- $0.99 on iTunes14.What's The Matter Now
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Why Don't You Tell Me So
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Sing, Sing, Sing
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Curly Seckler (vocals, tenor, guitar, mandolin); Billy Edwards (vocals, tenor, guitar, banjo); Larry Perkins (baritone, guitar, banjo); Ron Stewart, Tater Tate (baritone, fiddle); Harold Jones , John Palmer (bass voice); Herschel Sizemore (mandolin).
Liner Note Author: Penny Parsons.
Recording information: Revonah Studios, Ferndale, NY (05/12/1971-06/12/1989); The Cowboy Arms Hotel & Recording Spa, Nashville, TN (05/12/1971-06/12/1989).
Photographers: Abd Al-Lateef Whitman; Paul Gerry.
Trucker and bluegrass singer Curly Seckler isn't one of those names that pop into the mind of the average bluegrass fan the way Ralph Stanley does. Still, Seckler played an important role in a number of first generation bluegrass bands, including a long stretch with Flatt & Scruggs in the 1950s. With time out for his day job, trucking, Seckler waited until 1971 to make his first album for County. If there's a flaw in the compilation of Seckler's work on That Old Book of Mine, it's that County supplemented Curly Seckler Sings Again with five songs from Curly Seckler and Willis Spears from their Tribute to Lester Flatt. These five songs are more interesting than most of what passes for bluegrass in the post-millennium, but these tracks -- recorded in 1989 (with too much echo) -- pale beside the earlier ones -- recorded in 1971. The wonderful 11 tracks from the first session, however, are reason enough to own this CD, and if the other five tracks don't float the purist's boat, then it's easy enough to program around them. What makes theses recordings so special? The simple fact that the album, style-wise, could've been made as early as the late '40s. In other words, it's pure, traditional bluegrass featuring Seckler's emotive country tenor and a top-notch band that includes fiddler Tater Tate. That Old Book of Mine is a lovely straight-ahead recording that successfully captures a bit of mountain soul between grooves (aka bytes). ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$12.57 Super Savings
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)
$12.57 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Chet Atkins And His Guitar / The Guitar Genius (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
But What Will The Neighbors Think / Rodney Crowell (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$1.98 on SALE