The Chanters Golden Classics
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 5820
- by The Earls ~ Remember Then: The Best of the Earls ~ $23.42
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The Chanters were formed in 1957 and were comprised of Larry Pendergrass (lead), Fred Paige, Elliot Green, Bobby Thompson, and Bud Johnson (son of famous bandleader Buddy Johnson, who arranged the group's sessions). This classics collection contains all the tunes the group was known for, including their biggest hit, 1961's "No, No, No".
- 1.No, No, No
- 2.Row Your Boat
- 3.Angel Darling
- 4.At My Door
- 5.I Need Your Tenderness
- 6.Five Little Kisses
- 7.Over The Rainbow
- 8.Stars In The Sky
- 9.I Make This Pledge
- 10.My, My Darling
- 11.At My Door (Previously Unreleased)
- 12.No, No, No (Previously Unreleased)
- 13.For Sentimental Reasons
- 14.On The Alamo
- 15.You're Driving Me Crazy
- 16.Over The Rainbow (Previously Unreleased)
- 17.Stars In The Sky (Previously Unreleased)
- 18.I Need Your Tenderness (Previously Unreleased)
Contains 18 tracks.
Liner Note Author: Ronnie I.
If you didn't know better, these 18 infectious tracks would have you thinking that the Chanters were one of the late-'50s/early-'60s' top groups. Despite an abundance of skills, however, nothing clicked for the Queens, NY, natives. They never sold many records and only enjoyed a small following. Kiddie tenor Larry Pendergrass was a virtual clone of Frankie Lymon; a more mature tenor did the honors on "Angel Darling," a quality slow doo wop, but Pendergrass handled most leads. Crack arrangements by Bud Johnson elevated their recordings (style-wise) above those of their contemporaries, and you'll love all of these charming, contagious romps and ballads (except possibly "On the Alamo," an odd, campy tune with dumb lyrics). Prime movers include "No, No, No," "Five Little Kisses," "Row Your Boat," "At My Door," "My, My Darling," and the strong MOR updates "Over the Rainbow" and "For Sentimental Reasons." ~ Andrew Hamilton
Little Joe Cook & The Thrillers / The SchoolboysLittle Joe Cook & The Thrillers Meet The Schoolboys (CD)
$8.48 LABOR DAY
Best of King, Federal & Deluxe - Doo Wop, Volume 2 (CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Best of King, Federal & Deluxe - Doo Wop, Volume 1 (CD)
$7.22 LABOR DAY
Only the Best of the Great Groups, Volume 5 (10-CD Bundle...
$49.98 on SALE
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE