People's Choice Golden Classics
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$8.78 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.19 (41% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Formed in Philadelphia in the early '70s, People's Choice were one of the cornerstones of Gamble and Huff's TSOP records. The group had their biggest hit in 1975 with "Do It Any Way You Wanna", which is considered to be one great example of mid-'70s Philly dance music. Equally known for their instrumentals as for their vocals, this collection features them at their funky finest.
- 1.Do It Any Way You Wanna
- 2.Are You Sure
- 3.Micky D's
- 4.I'm Leaving You
- 5.The Sooner You Get Here
- 6.Boogie Down U.S.A.
- 7.Nursery Rhymes
- 8.Party Is A Groovy Thing
- 9.If You Want Me Back
- 10.Don't Send Me Away
- 11.Big Hurt
- 12.Love Shop
- 13.Asking For Trouble
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
People's Choice: Frankie Brunson (vocals, piano, organ); Roger Andrews (bass); Dave Thompson (drums); Stanley Burton, Leon Lee (congas).
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Golden Classics isn't so much a greatest-hits collection as it is a repackaging of People's Choice's first album for Philadelphia International, with a few B-sides thrown in for good measure. That album, 1975's Boogie Down U.S.A., recast the sometimes-gritty funk group in the Gamble & Huff mold, featuring a four-on-the-floor pulse and an overall smoother production. Joined here by members of MFSB, it's not surprising that they sound like a tougher version of that group on their crossover pop and R&B hit "Do It Any Way You Wanna." The studio gloss sometimes works against the gruff voice of Frankie Brunson, but ultimately prevails on instrumentals like "Boogie Down USA" and minimal vocal tracks with the lyric reduced to a basic chant, like "Party Is a Groovy Thing." Certainly the strongest album of People's Choice, and as such, the best place to start listening. ~ Wade Kergan
William DeVaughnBe Thankful For What You've Got - A Golden Classics Ed. (CD)
$5.58 CYBER WEEK
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 47,581
- UPC: 090431581827
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER WEEK
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER WEEK
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER WEEK
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER WEEK
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER WEEK