Tom Russell The Man From God Knows Where
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 16, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Hightone Records
Q - 6/99, p.1103 Stars (out of 5) - "...Russell writes superb sketches of modern western culture....It's an ambitious work that lacks pace at times but there are beautiful performances....charmingly affectionate..."
Dirty Linen - 6-7/99, p.58"Daring in conception and extravagant in execution, like the nation...the music in this folk opera recording is primitive, raw and dark..."
- 1.The Man from God Knows Where
- 2.Wayfarin' Stranger
- 3.Patrick Russell
- 4.Mary Clare Malloy - (American Wake)
- 5.The Outcast
- 6.Ambrose Larsen
- 7.The Dreamin'
- 8.The Old Northern Shore
- 9.The Man from God Knows Where
- 10.Anna Olsen
- 11.Rider on an Orphan Train
- 12.Acres of Corn
- 13.The Man from God Knows Where
- 14.Sitting Bull in Venice
- 15.The Old Rugged Cross
- 16.Anna Olsen's Letter Home
- 17.Eg Er Framand
- 18.When Irish Girls Grow Up
- 19.Casey Jones
- 20.Chickasaw County Jail
- 21.Wayfarin' Stranger - (Passage Of Time)
- 22.Throwin' Horseshoes at the Moon
- 23.The Man from God Knows Where
- 24.Outcast, The (Revisited)
- 25.Wayfarin' Stranger (Revisited)
- 26.Love Abides
Personnel includes: Tom Russell, Anne Bjorg Lien (fiddle, pipes); Dolores Keane, Kari Bremnes, Sondre Bratlund, Dave Van Ronk.
Includes liner notes by Tom Russell.
Personnel: Tom Russell (vocals, acoustic guitar); Andrew Hardin (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Annbjorg Lien (fiddle); Eoin O'Riabhaigh (tin whistle, Uilleann pipe); Hank Bones (trumpet, trombone); Iris DeMent (piano, background vocals); Anders Engen (drums); Dave Van Ronk, Dolores Keane, Sondre Bratland, Kari Bremnes, Walt Whitman (background vocals).
Liner Note Author: Tom Russell.
Recording information: Barony of Rosendal, Hardanger, Norway.
Arranger: Tom Russell.
Tom Russell had been releasing great records for about 25 years by the time he issued this album, but he outdoes himself here. Eight years in the making, The Man from God Knows Where is a song cycle inspired by America's pioneers and, particularly, Russell's own immigrant ancestors; but it probably comes at least as much from the artist's imagination as from historical fact. Be that as it may, he does a terrific job of conjuring up the hard realities faced by America's early immigrants. The performances, meanwhile, are even more adventurous than you've come to expect from Russell. Featuring guest spots by Iris DeMent, Dave Van Ronk and others, the album mixes music of the American West with that of Ireland and Norway and, somehow, it all holds together. A fine, fine collection. ~ Jeff Burger
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 49 ratings.
Based on 49 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Buy For Me The Rain / Dance Little Jean (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE