Tom Russell The Long Way Around (Acoustic Collection)
|You Save:||$1.10 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 20, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Hightone Records
Entertainment Weekly - 5/23/97, p.65"...Russell's dramatic, self-important baritone can be grating, but his finest work would get the nod from Woody Guthrie himself." - Rating: B
- 1.St. Olav's Gate
- 2.Outbound Plane
- 3.Big Water
- 4.Beyond the Blues
- 5.Spanish Burgundy
- 6.U.S. Steel
- 7.Walking on the Moon
- 8.Angel of Lyon, The - (in St. Louis)
- 9.Veteran's Day
- 10.The Eyes of Roberto Duran
- 11.Blue Wing
- 12.Haley's Comet
- 14.Mineral Wells
- 15.Gallo del Cielo
- 16.Road to Bayamon
- 17.Box of Visions
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Tom Russell, Dave Alvin, Iris DeMent, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Nanci Griffith, Katy Moffatt.
Includes liner notes by Dave Alvin, Nanci Griffith.
Personnel: Tom Russell (vocals, acoustic guitar, accordion); Andrew Hardin (vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, tiple, tabla, percussion); Dave Alvin, Iris DeMent, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Katy Moffatt, Nanci Griffith (vocals); David Mansfield (slide guitar, mandolin); Hank Bones (lap steel guitar, tamboura, bass guitar, percussion); Jeff Berman (percussion).
Audio Mixer: Fred Remmert.
Liner Note Author: Tom Russell.
Recording information: Blue Planet Studio, Nashville, TN (05/1996-12/1996); Bones Tones Studio, Brooklyn, NY (05/1996-12/1996); Off Broadway, St. Louis, MO (05/1996-12/1996); West End Studio, Kansis City, MO (05/1996-12/1996).
Photographers: Ebet Roberts; Charlyn Zlotnik; Brendan Fitzpatrick.
Even though he has more than a dozen recordings out under his own name, Tom Russell remains the ultimate "songwriter's songwriter." While some in the breed become well-known singing their own songs and others gain some measure of notoriety by providing signature songs for popular singers, Russell has managed to create a body of exemplary work (which dots dozens of singer/songwriters' recordings) to which his name somehow fails to stick.
Recorded roughly half in the studio and half "live" at St. Louis' Off Broadway, THE LONG WAY AROUND sets out to correct this slighting. With his gruff, gritty voice accompanied throughout by Andrew Hardin's elegant guitar work, Russell sings and strums his way through 17 of his finest compositions. Heavyweight pals--including Nanci Griffith, Iris Dement, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Katy Moffatt and Dave Alvin--lend voices to all but four of the tunes. John Prine and Steve Goodman fans, in particular, take note.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
I've Been Woking On The Guitar: The Legend Begins (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Country Music's Yodelling Cowboy Crooner, Volume 1 (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
The Browns Complete As & Bs and More 1954 - 62 (CD) ~
$14.22 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE