Lon Chaney Double Feature: Outside The Law (1921) / The Trap (1922) (Silent)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours
- Video: Black & White
- Released: April 28, 2009
- Originally Released: 1922
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Priscilla Dean, Lon Chaney & Alan Hale|
|Directed by||Tod Browning, Robert Thornby & Alan Hale|
|Music by||Kevin Slick|
|Screenwriting by||Tod Browning|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Lon Chaney plays two roles in this intense and gritty silent crime drama directed by Tod Browning (The Unholy Three - 1925, Dracula - 1931, Freaks - 1932). Palpably menacing as Black Mike and utterly inscrutable as Chinese servant Ah Wing, Chaney was still a few years from the widespread fame that followed his appearances in The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) and The Phantom of the Opera (1925).
Starring Lon Chaney, Priscilla Dean, Wheeler Oakman; Directed by Tod Browning.
The Trap (1922, B&W): Happy-go-lucky country boy Gaspard the Good has a perfect life. He owns a mine that he works by day, and he has a beautiful girlfriend, Thalie, who he courts at night. But a brute named Benson enters his world, robbing him of his livelihood and marrying his girl. In the ensuing years Gaspard descends into an abyss of despair. Driven by a thirst for revenge, the broken man springs a trap that puts Benson into prison and sends Benson's child into Gaspard's custody. His vengeance accomplished, Gaspard is now forced to face the darkest aspects of his shattered soul.
Without the benefit of the amazing makeup that typified many of his most memorable performances, Lon Chaney instead relies solely on his extremely malleable face to trace Gaspard's wrenching transformation from ecstatic innocence to tortured malevolence.
Starring Lon Chaney, Alan Hale, Dagmar Godovsky; Directed by Robert Thornby.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
This 1920 film of Lon Chaney's holds up rather well, especially with Tod Browning's direction. It is unfortunate that about 10 minutes of it is severely damaged with nitrate decomposition, but it features a spellbinding performance from the three principals (Chaney plays a double role, so 4 I guess). The only real down of this product is the musical score, which is truly awful; the same four notes over and over for half an hour; I don't think it changes key for the whole film, and makes slow scenes ten times slower. The action scenes sometimes come to a dead halt musically. Truly a boneheaded composer. Watch it with the sound off.
- Sales Rank: 6,016
- UPC: 089218580092
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE