- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: September 30, 2008
- Originally Released: 1982
- Label: Industrial Ent
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 09/02/1981
"...[The camerawork] enhances the desert locales....Zadora, in her screen debut, has most of the picture's best moments and registers well..."
New York Times - 02/05/1982
"...Most entertainingly sleazy....A camp classic."
Based on James M. Cain's novel about an attractive young woman in the Nevada silver mining region in the 1930's who uses her alluring sensual qualities to manipulate the men in her life. Her seductive propensities are even extended to her father.
Description by Ryko Distribution:
James M. Cain's (Mildred Pierce, Double Indemnity) once-shocking 1946 novel ?has been turned into a most entertainingly sleazy melodrama?Jess Tyler, played in good, legitimate, laconic style by Stacy Keach, is now a desert hermit, left to guard an abandoned silver mine. ..after years of isolation, (Jess) is suddenly confronted by the return of his long-lost daughter Kady(Pia Zadora) who, as a baby, had been taken away by Belle (Lois Nettleton), Jess's wife, along with an older daughter. It's the premise of ''Butterfly'' that Kady is every father's most forbidden dream come true - an available, slutty, innocent, trampish daughter-The movie looks parched and dry, everything so dusty and unwashed you can almost smell it in a way that Cain might have appreciated. - Vincent Canby, The New York Times.
Jess Tyler, a staunchly religious silver miner, has been left alone out in the desert to guard an all-but-depleted mine. His dreary life is livened up considerably by the arrival of his long-lost daughter, Kady. The less-than-innocent young woman has an ulterior motive in locating her father: she wants him to reopen the silver mine and help her exact revenge on the mine's owner, a spoiled rich kid who impregnated and abandoned her. Initially resistant to Kady's charms, Tyler eventually succumbs, and their incestuous affair leads to murder and betrayal in this steamy adaptation of the James M. Cain novel.
- 1981 produced another James M. Cain adaptation: the Jack Nicholson-Jessica Lange vehicle, "The Postman Always Rings Twice."
- "Butterfly" was financed by Pia Zadora's husband, producer Meshulam Riklis.
- Screened at the Montreal World Film Festival (in competition).
- Distribution company: Analysis Films.
- Production company: Par-Par Productions.
- Additional cast: Paul Hampton (Norton), Buck Flowers (Ed Lamey), Anne Dane (Janey), Greg Gault (Bridger), John O'Connor White (Billy Roy), Dr. Abraham Rudnick (Court stenographer), and Dylan Urguidi (Danny).
- Estimated budget: $2,000,000.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 115,859
- UPC: 858334001350
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item