Hank Penny Crazy Rhythm: The Standard Transcriptions (2-CD)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$14.18 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.80 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 11, 2005
- Label: Bloodshot Records
CMJ - 8/21/00, p.24"...An essential addition to the [Western swing] cannon and an irresistible call to cut a rug."
- 1.Kiss Me Honey (But Take Your Time)
- 2.Wang Wang Blues
- 3.Rabbits Don't Ever Get Married
- 4.The Penny Opus No. 1
- 5.Hold the Phone
- 6.No Muss, No Fuss, No Bother
- 7.Won't You Ride in My Little Red Wagon
- 8.Progressive Country Music for a Hollywood Flapper
- 9.Don't Start Breathing Down My Neck
- 10.Mister and Mississippi
- 11.I'm Waiting Just for You
- 12.I Like the Wide Open Spaces
- 13.Flamin' Mamie
- 14.Cross Your Heart
- 15.I'm Not in Love (Just Involved)
- 16.Taxes, Taxes
- 17.Peroxide Blond
- 18.Ship of Broken Dreams
- 19.Things Are Gettin' Rough All Over
- 20.Big-Footed Sam
- 21.That Mink on Her Back
- 22.Catch 'Em Young, Treat 'Em Rough, Tell 'Em Nothin'
- 23.Crazy Rhythm
- 24.White Shotguns
- 25.You're Bound to Look Like a Monkey (When You Grow Old)
- 26.You're So Different
- 27.We Met Too Late
- 28.Alabama Jubilee
- 29.I Want My Rib
- 30.September Song
Recorded for Standard Radio Transcription Services in 1951. Includes liner notes by Rich Kienzle.
Digitally remastered by Phil York (Yorktown Digital).
This is part of the Revival series, coproduced by Bloodshot and Soundies Records.
Liner Note Author: Rich Kienzle.
Recording information: 1951.
Hank Penny, though never achieving the fame and success of fellow artists Bob Wills and Spade Cooley, was a giant in the field known as Western swing. Though nearly forgotten by mainstream country audiences, Western swing--a fusion of country and jazz with touches of blues and Tex-Mex--was immensely popular from the 1930s through the early '50s, and was one of the cornerstones of rock & roll. Penny had a smooth, slightly drawling voice (a bit like Merle Haggard's or Jack Teagarden's) and a wry, irreverent delivery; his band featured excellent musicians who were equally at home with swinging jazz and country.
CRAZY RHYTHM collects radio transcriptions (recordings made exclusively for radio broadcast) from 1951, and it's essential for Western swing fans. The sound quality is superb, the liner notes are comprehensive and this set contains 30 songs, totaling over 70 minutes. Also, the jazz orientation (including some bebop influence) is strong here, with many fine instrumentals--listen to and marvel at "Progressive Country Music for a Hollywood Flapper."
Country & Western, Volume 2 [German Import] (10-CD)
Rock 'N' Roll: Get All Stars Here [German Import] (10-CD)
Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour: Best Of The First Series... (CD)
Country & Western, Volume 1 [German Import] (10-CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$16.98 LABOR DAY
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE