Once There Was Bird
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|You Save:||$6.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Charlie Parker PLP-408 (1961)
Description by OLDIES.com:
One of the most legendary jazz players of all time, Charlie Parker is imitated and emulated, but he has never been equaled. "Once There Was Bird" is a showcase for the genius at his best.
- 3.Get Happy
- 4.Get Happy
- 5.Slam Slam Blues
- 6.Slam Slam Blues
- 7.Congo Blues (Incomplete)
- 8.Congo Blues (Incomplete)
- 9.Congo Blues
- 10.Congo Blues
- 11.Congo Blues
Personnel: Charlie Parker (alto saxophone); Flip Phillips (tenor saxophone); Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet); Red Norvo (vibraphone); Teddy Wilson (piano); Slam Stewart (bass); Specs Powell, J.C. Heard (drums).
Recorded in New York, New York on June 6, 1945. Includes liner notes by Martin Williams.
Personnel: Charlie Parker (alto saxophone); Flip Phillips (tenor saxophone); Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet); Teddy Wilson (piano); J.C. Heard, Specs Powell (drums).
Liner Note Author: Martin Williams .
Recording information: New York, NY (06/06/1945).
Many reissues of Parker's Dial sessions tend to suffer from greatly inferior sound quality and chaotic chronological disorder. This collection, however, has faithfully restored (both sonically and discographically) the results of a single session from 1945. One of Parker's earliest studio dates as a prominent sideman, this also features Dizzy Gillespie, vibraphonist Red Norvo and bass player Slam Stewart (who has the distinctive, charming quirk of humming his solos as he bows them). While the feel and themes of these compositions are still somewhat rooted in conventional swing tradition (Parker and Gillespie would soon enough break away into fully modernist pieces), the playing here is pure, cutting edge be-bop.
Dramatic, exuberant blowing from both Bird and Diz fills "Get Happy," "Hallelujah," "Slam Slam Blues" and "Congo Blues." These four tracks are the body of the session, and the album includes incomplete takes and several alternate versions, allowing the listener to chart the evolution of each tune. This disc will certainly be of interest to collectors and casual listeners alike.
Mary Lou Williams / Meade Lux LewisMary Lou Williams & Orchestra And Meade Lux Lewis (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Don ShirleyPlays Birdland Lullabies / Plays Show Tunes (2-CD)
$8.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 61,996
- UPC: 090431579022
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Collectables Jazz Classics Product Series:
- Bunny Berigan I Can't Get Started (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Art Blakey Hard Bop / Paris Concert (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Teresa Brewer Songs of Bessie Smith / The Cotton Connection (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Bob Brookmeyer Brookmeyer (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Ray Bryant Cold Turkey (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
Jazz Instrument: Alto Sax Music Categories:
Cannonball Adderley African Waltz (CD) ~
$10.56 Super Savings
- Cannonball Adderley The Best of The Capitol Years (CD) ~ $12.05
- Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago (Live) (CD) ~ $12.59
- Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Adderley Quintet in San Francisco [Remastered Bonus Tracks] (Live) (CD) ~ $9.88
- Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Takes Charge [Expanded] (CD) ~ $13.28