- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 23 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 3, 2013
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Part of her world: Jodi Benson's voyage to Fantasyland
- Dual Layer
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French, Spanish
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Ron Clements &
John Musker &
Original story by
Hans Christian Andersen
Howard Ashman &
Christopher Daniel Barnes,
Samuel E. Wright,
Edie McClurg &
Academy Awards 1989 -
Best Original Score: Alan Menken
Academy Awards 1989 -
Best Original Song: Alan Menken & Howard Ashman
New York Times - 11/05/1989
"...Glorious....THE LITTLE MERMAID is a marvel of skillful animation, witty songwriting and smart planning. It is designed to delight filmgoers of every stripe..."
New York Times - 12/24/1989
Included in the New York Times "10 Best Films of 1989" List
Los Angeles Times - 11/15/1989
"...The animators fill the water with shimmers and sparkles, wraiths of weed and shiny crops of coral, and they create amazing illusions of underwater movement..."
Total Film - 07/01/2000
"...The songs are fresh, the script is tight..."
Premiere - 10/01/2006
3 stars out of 4 -- "The 1989 film that ignited the second golden age of Disney animation..."
Mermaids are supposed to stay under the sea, but Ariel, a headstrong teenager, longs to be part of the magical world on land. When she falls in love with a human prince, Ariel strikes a bargain with the diabolical Sea Witch to win the prince's love. THE LITTLE MERMAID is a beautiful splash of art and music that revived the classic Disney tradition.
THE LITTLE MERMAID is Disney's animated version of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale about a mermaid who falls in love with a handsome prince whom she rescues from drowning. Disobeying her father, lord of a great sea kingdom, the mermaid makes a deal with an evil enchantress. In exchange for a pair of legs, the mermaid must sacrifice her exquisite voice to the witch, who, unbeknownst to the mermaid, uses it to beguile the prince into marrying her.
Disney Film |
Family (General) |
High Seas |
Love Story |
Switching Roles |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: November 17, 1989.
Rereleased November 14, 1997.
- THE LITTLE MERMAID is the 28th full-length animated feature from Walt Disney Pictures.
- Alyssa Milano confirmed to Premiere magazine that her body was used as the inspiration for Ariel.
- Shot in 70mm; color by Technicolor.
- THE LITTLE MERMAID is the 28th animated feature to carry the Disney name and was originally released in theaters November 17, 1989.
- David Dunnet was the layout supervisor and Donald Towns was the backgrounds superior.
- Budget estimate $20 million.
- Rated BBFC by the British Board of film censors.
- The original Hans Christian Anderson story, "Little Mermaid," was published in 1836.
- 25 special effects artists and animators were used to create the special water effects of the film. Over 400 artists and technicians were used to make the film, overall.
- The making of the film produced nearly 150,000 painted cells, 1,100 backgrounds, 1 million drawings (including sketches, pencil animations, and layouts) and 7,000 feet of hand-drawn film, and utilized more than 1,000 different colors.
- The two-and-a-half-minute storm scene in which the prince's ship runs aground took eight weeks to choreograph.
- Two-thirds of the film is set underwater.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 1207 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 10,389
- UPC: 786936834994
- Shipping Weight: 0.17/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item