- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 49 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 5, 2013
- Originally Released: 2013
- Label: Alchemy / Millennium
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Behind the scenes with cast & crew
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Film Comment - 10/11/2013
"AS I LAY DYING employs split-screen heavily to approximate the effect of the novel's 15-odd contradicting, stylistically varying points of view....The earnest result is a qualified, perfectly respectable success..."
Writer/director/star James Franco dabbles in experimental filmmaking with this ambitious adaptation of William Faulkner's famed stream-of-consciousness novel. Told from the multiple perspectives of a poverty-stricken, rural Mississippi family determined to honor their late matriarch Addie's (Beth Grant) dying wish to be buried in Jefferson, the film follows the grieving clan on their arduous journey through difficult terrain. Headed by newly widowed father Anse (Tim Blake Nelson) the family includes a son named Darl (Franco), his siblings Jewel (Logan Marshall-Green), Cash (Jim Parrack), and Vernon (Danny McBride), as well as their sister Dewey (Ahna O'Reilly). As the family make their way to Addie's final resting place, the narrative of the film continually shifts through their unique perspectives.