Buddy Miller Midnight and Lonesome
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 15, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Hightone Records
Uncut - 2/03, p.774 stars out of 5 - "...This is his finest solo foray yet, remarkable for Miller's skillfully-woven fretwork and plaintive moonlight moan..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Buddy Miller (vocals, guitar, octave 12 string, harmonica, harmonium, optigan); Lee Ann Womack, Emmylou Harris, Julie Miller (vocals); Larry Campbell (steel guitar, fiddle); Al Perkins (steel guitar); Tammy Rogers (fiddle); Fats Kaplan (accordion); Phil Madiera (Hammond B-3 organ); Rick Plant, Byron House (bass); Brady Blade, Bryan Owens (drums).
Personnel: Emmylou Harris, Julie Miller, Lee Ann Womack (vocals); Larry Campbell (steel guitar, fiddle); Tammy Rogers (fiddle); Fats Kaplin (accordion); Phil Madeira (melodica); Rev. Brady Blade, Bryan Owings (drums).
Recording information: 07/2002.
Photographer: Michael Wilson .
Buddy Miller's fourth solo release (fifth if you count 2001's collaboration with wife Julie Miller) slots comfortably into the established formula around which he's structured all of his albums. Lots of honky tonk infused into heartfelt ballads (Jesse Winchester's "A Showman's Life"), upbeat rockers (the Everly Brothers' "The Price of Love"), rural hillbilly ("Wild Card"), and a stray soul cover (Percy Mayfield's "Please Send Me Someone to Love"). Emmylou Harris, whose band he plays in, adds backing vocals. Wife Julie does as well, and also contributes four songs in addition to co-writing three others. Old pals like songwriter Jim Lauderdale, Tammy Rogers on fiddle, and Al Perkins handling steel guitar also make appearances. But even though he's following his own blueprint, Miller never just goes through the motions, making this one of his most consistent and enjoyable works. The couple successfully shifts gears by delving into traditional Cajun on "Oh Fait Piti‚ d'Amour" and acoustic jazz/blues with standup bass on the Mayfield cover. The tracks range from playful on a silly but jaunty "Little Bitty Kiss" to serious on the somber and stark closing "Quecreek," a song written and recorded a few hours after the rescue of workers at the titular mine. Miller teams up with Vigilantes of Love frontman Bill Mallonee for "Water When the Well Is Dry," a crackling country-rocker and one of the most powerful and catchy tunes he has recorded. Established fans will be thrilled by this rugged and rootsy addition to his catalog. Those who haven't experienced Buddy Miller's grits-and-honey voice, inventive guitar playing, and gutsy no-frills country approach can start their collections here. ~ Hal Horowitz
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 17 ratings.
Based on 17 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE