Buddy Miller Cruel Moon
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 19, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Hightone Records
Entertainment Weekly - 11/19/99, p.151"...so bona fide country he can make even a Gene Pitney cover...seem mountain-born..." - Rating: B+
CMJ - 10/18/99, p.25"...one of the most consistently excellent roots rock albums of the year."
Dirty Linen - 2-3/00, p.78"...he's great...CRUEL MOON showcases [his] singer/songwriter talents....'I'm Not Getting Any Better At Goodbye' is an absolute tear-jerker."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Buddy Miller (vocals, guitar); Julie Miller, Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, Jim Lauderdale, Joy Lynn White (vocals); Steve Fischel (pedal steel guitar); Tammy Rogers (fiddle); Phil Maderia (accordion, organ); Byron House (bass); Don Heffington (drums).
Recording information: Dogtown Studios (07/1999).
Straddling the worlds of country and rock, CRUEL MOON has the best of both worlds. There's an earthy honesty to every performance, but the album also roars like a monster. Big, thick beats power the loud songs, while crystal-clear silence surrounds the ballads. Miller's a dazzling guitar player. He has toured with Steve Earle and Emmylou Harris (in her Spyboy band), both of whom show up on CRUEL MOON.
Miller's songs were written primarily with his wife Julie Miller, whose own BROKEN THINGS was released at nearly the same time. Her "Somewhere Trouble Don't Go" rolls along like the slinkiest boogie in the Northern Hemisphere. Covers of Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil's "I'm Gonna Be Strong" (a hit for Gene Pitney) and the Staple Singers' "It's Been a Change" showcase Miller's supple arrangements and vivid singing. Like Earle and Harris, Miller doesn't fit easily into radio formats of the '90s. But, as the years fall away, CRUEL MOON is sure to be embraced for what it is: a great album.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Eddy Arnold Famous Country Music Makers (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- John Anderson Paradise (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Charlie Daniels The Door (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Floor Fillin' Two Steppin' Honky Tonk Hits, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE