- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 51 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 5, 2013
- Originally Released: 1955
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Disc 1:
- Digital transfer from restored picture and audio elements
- Commentary by Douglas L. Rathgeb, author of The Making of Rebel Without a Cause
- Theatrical trailer
- Disc 2:
- Rebel Without a Cause: Defiant Innocents documentary
- Vintage documentary James Dean Remembered
- Additional scenes (without sound)
- 3 segments from the Warner Bros.
- Presents TV series including Dean's famous Drive Safely commercial TV spot
- Rare screen tests
- Wardrobe tests
- Dual Layer
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 06/23/1993
"...[An] early Scope masterpiece....The third Oscar-winner for cinematography..."
Total Film - 03/01/2001
"...With Dean's frowning charisma intact as misunderstood new kid Jim Stark, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE has life in it yet..."
Entertainment Weekly - 01/11/2002
"James Dean's good looks and devilish charm were trumped only by his affinity for fast living..."
Premiere - 12/01/2003
"REBEL was remarkable in telling its story from the point of view of the kids, exploding the image of the juvenile delinquent."
Uncut - 06/01/2005
"All three compelling core performances, director Nicholas Ray's symbolic, vivid use of colour and the film's pace make REBEL a still-cogent depiction of alienated kids and dysfunctional families."
Sight and Sound - 07/01/2005
"The film that consecrated James Dean's teen-idol image..."
The age-old theme of teenage violence and delinquency is given distinctive insight by the well-cast Dean-Wood-Mineo trio. Perhaps the best teen-age drama of the 1950s. Academy Award Nominations: Best Supporting Actor--Sal Mineo, Best Supporting Actress--Natalie Wood, Best Motion Picture Story.
The classic film about alienated and rebellious youth that made James Dean an indelible icon.
"Rebel without a Cause" focuses on a teenage social outcast searching for his identity. His dysfunctional parents (a milquetoast father and a cantankerous mom) can't help him and he shuns any form of authority. The young man only finds solace in the company of two fellow teenage misfits, but even they aren't able to prevent tragedy from befalling this reckless and uncontrollable anti-hero.
Campus Life |
Character Study |
Coming Of Age |
Essential Cinema |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: October 1955.
- REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1990.
- REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE marked Dennis Hopper's film acting debut.
- The film was originally to be shot in black and white, but after Jack Warner viewed the dailies from the first three days of shooting, he decided the film should be in color.