The Light Crust Doughboys Light Crust Doughboys 1936-1941
|You Save:||$1.99 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 25, 2007
- Label: Krazy Kat
- 1.I'm a Ding Dong Daddy
- 2.Gloomy Sunday
- 3.Uncle Zeke
- 4.Tiger Rag
- 5.Stay Out of the South
- 6.Sittin' on Top of the World
- 7.Three Shif-Less Skonks
- 8.The Birth of the Blues
- 9.Clarinet Marmalade
- 10.Gin Mill Blues
- 11.Yancy Special
- 12.Foot Warmer
- 13.Little Rock Getaway
- 14.We Found Her Little Pussy Cat
- 15.Mama Gets What She Wants
- 16.You Got What I Want
- 17.Truck Driver's Blues
- 18.Green Valley Trot
- 19.Listen to the Mockingbird
- 21.Zip Zip Zipper
- 22.Sweet Sally
- 23.Do You Ever Miss Me
- 24.Can't Ease My Evil Mind
- 25.Big House Blues
- 26.We Just Can't Get Along
Personnel: Dick Reinhart (vocals, guitar, electric guitar); Ramon de Arman, Jim Boyd (vocals, guitar); Kenneth Pitts (vocals, fiddle); Parker Wilson, Bert Dodson (vocals); Zeke Campbell (guitar, electric guitar); Paul Andrew Waggoner (guitar); Leroy Millican (electric guitar); Marvin Montgomery (tenor guitar, tenor banjo); Buck Buchanan, Clifford Gross, Cecil Brower (fiddle); Frank Reneau, Knocky Parker (piano).
Audio Remasterer: Charlie Crump.
Liner Note Author: Kevin Coffey.
Recording information: Dallas, TX (04/04/1936-03/06/1941); Fort Worth, TX (04/04/1936-03/06/1941); Hollywood, CA (04/04/1936-03/06/1941); Saginaw, TX (04/04/1936-03/06/1941).
Although a group called the Light Crust Doughboys existed sporadically from 1929 (when legendary Texas border radio figure, future governor, and all-around scalawag W. Lee "Pappy" O'Daniel first dubbed a Fort Worth Western swing band starring a young Bob Wills with the name of his radio show's flour company sponsor) into the early years of the 21st century, just about everyone agrees that the band's key period was the five years after manager O'Daniel was fired in 1936 and before the band split in 1942 as its members were drafted into the war effort. Led by fiddle player Kenneth Pitts and banjo player Smokey Montgomery (who would remain the group's sole constant member until his death n 2001), this edition of the Light Crust Doughboys split their time between novelty tunes (like "I'm a Ding Dong Daddy [From Dumas]" and the sly double entendre "We Found Her Little Pussy Cat") and hot, jazzy Western swing workouts (like their signature tune, "Tiger Rag," and the almost klezmer-like "Clarinet Marmalade"). This budget-line 26-track anthology features decent sound and just about all of the key songs from the group's best and best-known period. Start here. ~ Stewart Mason
Milton BrownComplete Recordings of the Father of Western Swing 1932-37...
$67.97 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Wheeling West Virginia: October 2, 1976 (Live) (CD)
$16.55 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE