- Released: October 29, 2013
- Label: Fantasy
- 1.Joy To the World
- 2.Hark, the Herald Angels Sing / O Come All Ye Faithful
- 3.We Three Kings of Orient Are
- 4.God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- 5.Auld Lang Syne
- 6.Oh Holy Night
- 7.Christmas Medley: Oh, Tannenbaum / Angels We Have Heard On High / Jingle Bells
- 8.Carol of the Bells
- 9.The First Noel
- 10.It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
- 11.Silent Night, Holy Night
- 12.Santa Claus is Coming To Town
- 13.Deck the Halls With Boughs of Holly / We Wish You a Merry Christmas
- 14.The Christmas Song
Guitarist John Fahey s concept of Christmas music was a little different from the norm.
The New Possibility: John Fahey s Guitar Soli Christmas Album, the acoustic guitarist s visionary 1968 set, was a scintillating collection of solo steel-string adaptations of beloved traditional Yuletide melodies ( Joy to the World, We Three Kings of Orient Are, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen ). It reportedly sold more than 100,000 copies on Fahey s own Takoma label, tabbing it as his best-selling album, and inspired several more memorable holiday sets from the guitarist: Christmas With John Fahey Vol. II (1975, also on Takoma), Christmas Guitar Volume One (1982, on the Varrick label), and Popular Songs of Christmas & New Year s, a duet collection with fellow guitarist Terry Robb (1983, on Varrick).
All four of those brilliant albums are generously represented on Fantasy s newly compiled Christmas Guitar Soli With John Fahey, a 14-song compilation of highlights from Fahey s Yuletide catalog. Scheduled for October 29 CD release, the collection provides a lovely soundtrack for the upcoming holiday season and boasts newly created cover art by Tom Weller, who designed the artwork for many of Fahey s original Takoma albums, that s done in the style of those classic sets.