Soul Classics, Volume 1
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$9.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by The Elegants ~ Best of Little Star ~ $10.98
by The Tymes ~ The Best of 1963-1964 (Cameo Parkway) $11.65
by Sam Cooke ~ Greatest Hits $8.82
by The Angels ~ My Boyfriend's Back - A Golden Classics Edition ~ $9.98
by Gary U.S. Bonds ~ The Very Best of Gary "U.S." Bonds: The Original Legrand Masters $10.56
- Produced by George Kerr.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
This collection of Soul classics is highlighted by 5 live performances by the internationally-known masters of The Sound of Philadelphia, The O'Jays.
- 1.The O'JaysI'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow (Live)
- 2.The O'JaysLook Over Your Shoulder (Live)
- 3.The O'JaysGoing, Going, Gone (live)
- 4.Linda JonesThat's When I'll Stop Loving You
- 5.Linda JonesHypnotized
- 6.The EscortsLet's Make Love (At Home Sometime)
- 7.The EscortsOoh Baby Baby
- 8.George Kerr3 Minutes 2--Hey Girl
- 9.The WhatnautsI'll Erase Away Your Pain
- 10.The WhatnautsTry Me
- 11.The O'JaysLove Is Everywhere (live)
- 12.The O'JaysI'll Be Seeing You (live)
Soul Classics Volume One is a collection of recordings produced by George Kerr by various artists. Five of the twelve tracks are by the O'Jays, who went on to bigger things with Philadelphia International Records. Two of the O'Jays recordings, "Look Over Your Shoulder" and "I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow," originally released on Bell Records, are solid efforts. The two numbers by the late Linda Jones are definitive LJ. The melodic "Hypnotized" approached a million sales. Jones reveals her guts on "That's When I'll Stop Loving You," a dramatic, show-stopping ballad that was originally the B-side of Linda's remake of the O'Jays' "I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow" on Neptune Records. Two Escorts tracks are included: "Ooh, Baby Baby," and "Let's Make Love at Home Sometime." The Escorts deserve a footnote because Kerr recorded their tracks (they released two albums) at Rahway State Prison in New Jersey, where they were inmates; however, their harmonies are too simplistic and their leads stray from the melody. "I'll Erase Your Pain" by the Whatnauts was the Baltimoreans' most popular recording. Two tenors -- one natural, one falsetto -- feed off one another, enhancing the song. George Kerr's "3 Minutes to Hey Girl" shows that the producer/writer has some singing skills. The three minutes refer to Kerr's monologue before he launches into his remake of Freddie Scott's classic. ~ Andrew Hamilton
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
Based on 20 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Soul Classics, Volume 1 Music Lover: Dan from Florida -- September, 21, 2007
Nice ballads from the days when music was meant to be music and sung. A very nice collection of soulful ballads that any R&B fans would love.
- Sales Rank: 726
- UPC: 090431572726
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Rock & Pop Music Categories:
As If (CD)
$13.81 Super Savings
- !!! As If (2LPs) ~ $21.95
- Elmo from Sesame Street / Sesame Street The Best of Elmo (CD) ~ $10.78
? and The Mysterians
Are You For Real (CD)
$9.79 Super Savings
- 10,000 Maniacs Campfire Songs: The Popular, Obscure & Unknown Recordings (2-CD) ~ $20.68