Harlem Double Feature: Souls of Sin (1949) / Murder On Lennox Avenue (1941)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 8 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 25, 2008
- Originally Released: 1941
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- (unspecified) English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Mamie Smith & Edna Mae Harris|
|Directed by||Arthur Dreifuss & Powell Lindsay|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Souls of Sin (1949) is a poignant and literate portrait of a black man at a moral crossroads. The sobering subject matter is served with an enjoyable side course of music and comedy. This mixture was a tradition in many all-black productions of the 1930s and 40s, and makes for compelling viewing today.
Starring Jimmy Wright, Savannah Churchill, Emory Richardson, William Greaves; Directed by Powell Lindsay.
Murder on Lenox Ave. (1941, B&W): The crowded rooms of Harlem tenement buildings become crucibles of populist politics and powerful passions. Crooked businessman Leon Marshall runs the local Better Business League as his personal fiefdom, enriching himself at the expense of the poor. He faces a challenge from Pa Williams, a respected patriarch in the community. Marshall and his hunchback henchman Lomax are determined to end Williams' political life - not with ballots, but with bullets.
After finishing work on Murder on Lennox Avenue, director Arthur Dreifuss moved to PRC studios, where he made The Payoff (1942), Boss of Big Town (1942) and Baby Face Morgan (1942). He directed a pair of popular Boston Blackie pictures for Columbia in 1945. He is best remembered today for a late-in-career "classic," Riot on Sunset Strip (1967). Beautiful Edna Mae Harris and bluesy Mamie Smith contribute some fine vocal performances to this inspirational piece of all-black cinema.
Starring Mamie Smith, Edna Mae Harris, Augustus Smith, Norman Astwood; Directed by Arthur Dreifuss.
MURDER ON LENOX AVENUE: Featuring a completely African-American cast, this 1940s drama follows the disgraced leader of the Harlem Better Business League as he plots to murder his replacement.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
- Sales Rank: 8,627
- UPC: 089218569998
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE