- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Black & White / Color
- Released: January 30, 2007
- Originally Released: 1936
- Label: Naxos
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital DTS Surround Stereo - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Interviews with Film Producer/Director George Stoney on "The Plow that Broke the Plains" [15:01] and "The River", and "The 'New Deal', 'The River' and Race" [6:09].
- Interview with composer Charles Fussell on Virgil Thomson [17:35].
- Interview with Virgil Thomson on Virgil Thomson [7: 15, audio only]
- The Plow that Broke the Plains [27:02]
- The River [31:23]
Performers, Cast and Crew:
These two groundbreaking American documentary films from 1936 and 1937 feature some of the best film music ever written. Here, Virgil Thomson's famous scores, including some cuts that did not make the original release, have been re-recorded by the Post-Classical ensemble.