Clyde McPhatter Mercury Sessions
|You Save:||$5.24 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Dominoes / Clyde McPhatter / The Dominos ~ 18 Hits, Volume 2 ~ $8.98
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Clyde McPhatter, a 1987 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, had one of the most distinctive and influential male voices of the R&B era. He began his career with the Dominoes in 1950, and left that group to form The Drifters. After a stint in the army, he returned to sing solo and enjoyed enormous success. This recording from his years with Mercury features his early '60s hit, "Ta Ta".
- 1.Baby Baby
- 2.Ta Ta
- 3.A Lover's Question
- 4.Hold My Hand
- 5.Second Window, Second Floor
- 6.Such A Night
- 8.What's Love To Me
- 9.Deep In The Heart Of Harlem
- 10.Mercy Mercy Baby
- 11.Without Love (There Is Nothing)
- 12.I Told Myself A Lie
- 13.Let's Try Again
- 14.Twice As Nice
Includes liner notes by Mark Maymont.
Personnel: Clyde McPhatter (vocals); Jimmy Oliver (guitar); Bill Curtis (drums).
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
The title is a sort of catch-all, and a misnomer, as this CD doesn't even attempt to represent a cross-section of McPhatter's work on Mercury Records -- but the CD itself is golden. Eleven of the 14 tracks are taken from McPhatter's 1964 vintage Live at the Apollo album, and show him in surprisingly good form, backed by a band that's just a little bigger than it probably needed to have been. None of that detracts from his performances on numbers ranging across his entire career, including "A Lover's Question," "Ta Ta," "Baby Baby," "Such a Night," "Lucille," and "Just to Hold My Hand." Some of this is done in a bit too much of a big-band style, especially "Such a Night," and those arrangements -- along with the presence of his more pop-oriented material (including "Second Window, Second Floor" and "What's Love to Me") -- make this album less revelatory than it might otherwise have been (though even then it's hard to dislike the voice). "Lucille," by contrast, is done as a hard R&B number that rates as one of his best performances on record. And "Deep in the Heart of Harlem," his then recent single, reveals McPhatter emulating the sound of the latter day Drifters with a song that bears a pleasing resemblance to "Under the Boardwalk" in beat, texture, and theme. One suspects that, despite the Apollo Theater setting, the intent of this album was to emulate Sam Cooke at the Copa by presenting McPhatter in his most mainstream, accessible manner. The R&B elements were somewhat compromised, all to little avail since it never sold in large numbers anyway, but they're still the best reason for buying this reissue. ~ Bruce Eder
The Three DegreesGee Baby, I'm Sorry - The Best of The Swan Years (CD)
$6.49 on SALE
Barbara GeorgeI Know (You Don't Love Me No More) - Golden Classics (CD)
$9.98 on SALE
Time Life's The Teen Years: 150-Song Collection (10-CD)(14)
$109.80 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,187
- UPC: 090431569221
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. Bubblegum Christmas (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- The Ad-Libs Ad-Libs & Friends (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3