- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 15, 2013
- Originally Released: 1973
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- PCM Stereo - English, French
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Isn't forcible rape in broad daylight still a misdemeanor in this town'"
- Callie Travers (Mariana Hill) to Sheriff Shaw (Walter Barnes)
Uncut - 01/01/2004
"[T]he most distinctive and nastiest western of Eastwood's career. A stone-cold classic by anyone's standards."
Clint Eastwood once again portrays the 'Man With No Name' in this bleak morality play about a man who protects a frontier town from outlaws, more out of contempt for the outlaws than love for the cowardly townspeople. This was Eastwood's second directorial effort following the very successful PLAY MISTY FOR ME.
In Eastwood's supernatural homage to his own cinematic roots -- the films of Sergio Leone and Don Siegel -- the residents of a greedy mining town conspire to murder their own sheriff when he threatens to inform the government that they've been operating on public land. They then attempt to frame the hired killers, prompting the gunmen to seek revenge. The townsfolk go to the well once more, hiring a mysterious Stranger to rid them of these bandits. But the Stranger has his own agenda and proves to be more than they bargained for.
- Shot in Technicolor and Panavision. Film had an original aspect ratio of 2.4:1.