Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 15, 2013
- Originally Released: 1959
- Label: Criterion
- Note: New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- High-definition digital restoration of Blood of the Beasts, Georges Franju's 1949 documentary about the slaughterhouses of Paris
- Archival interviews with Franju on the horror genre, cinema, and the making of Blood of the Beasts
- New interview with actor Edith Scob
- Excerpts from Les Grand-Pères du Crime, a 1985 documentary about Eyes With a Face writers Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac
- Plus: a booklet featuring essays by novelist Patrick McGrath and film historian David Kalat
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.66
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 02/23/1996
"...Genuine chills....Deeply unnerving..." -- Rating: A-
Los Angeles Times - 01/21/1996
"...From its expressive title to its brilliant, unsettling images, LES YEUX SANS VISAGE is a film to haunt your dreams..."
USA Today - 01/12/2001
"...Georges Franju's French horror masterpiece..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/31/2003
"...A film to haunt your dreams. Disturbing, disorienting, quietly terrifying....A startlingly beautiful and artful piece of cinema as well..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 10/31/2003
"Franju constructs an elegant visual work; here is a horror movie in which the shrieks are not by the characters but by the images."
Sight and Sound - 01/01/2005
"Maurice Jarre provides a disturbingly jaunty, nightmare-carousel score..."
Uncut - 06/01/2008
4 stars out of 5 -- "Georges Franju's 1959 horror-fairytale hybrid remains a true one-off....This is like Bunuel untethered."
Empire - 07/01/2008
4 stars out of 5 -- "Lyrical and macabre, its creepy aura prevails right through to its closing shot, still one of the most enigmatic in the genre -- haunting, confounding and destined to linger."
The pulp poetic masterpiece from surrealist director Georges Franju, in which a maniacal plastic surgeon becomes obsessed with restoring his beloved daughter's face, which was mutilated in a horrible accident. When all conventional methods fail, he hatches a mad plot, murdering women in an insane attempt to graft their faces onto his daughter's.
Mad Doctor |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical Release: November 17, 1995 (NYC)