Jay & Kai + 6 / J.J. In Person
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
sku: COL 5677
- by J.J. Johnson ~ The Four Trombones: The Debut Recordings (Live) ~ $11.74
- by J.J. Johnson ~ Trombone by Three (With Kai Winding & Benny Green) ~ $10.56
- Released: July 5, 2004
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia C-892 (1956)
- Original Album #2: Columbia CS-8009 (1959)
Description by OLDIES.com:
In 1954, J.J. Johnson and Kai Winding, both individually successful trombonists, joined forces and formed a very successful quintet of their own. The first album shows us the magic they worked together. Johnson's stunning live performance capabilities are highlighted on the second album in this collection.
- 1.Night In Tunisia
- 2.Piece For Two Trombones
- 3.Rise 'N' Shine
- 4.All At Once You Love Her
- 5.No Moon At All
- 6.Surrey With The Fringe On Top
- 7.Peanut Vendor
- 8.You're My Thrill
- 10.Four Plus Four
- 11.You Don't Know What Love Is
- 13.Tune Up
- 16.What Is This Thing Called Love?
- 18.My Old Flame
- 19.Now's The Time
2 LPs on 1 CD: JAY & KAY + 6 (1956)/J.J. IN PERSON (1958).
JAY & KAY + 6:
Personnel: J.J. Johnson, Kai Winding, Urbie Green, Bob Alexander, Eddie Bert, Jimmy Cleveland (trombone); Bart Varsalone, Tom Mitchell (bass trombone); Hank Jones (piano); Milt Hinton (bass); Osie Johnson (drums).
Recorded in New York, New York in 1956. Includes original release liner notes by George Avakian.
J.J. IN PERSON:
Personnel: J.J. Johnson (trombone); Nat Adderly (cornet); Tommy Flanagan (piano); Wilbur Little (bass); Albert Heath (drums).
Recorded live in Rochester, New York in May 1958. Includes original release liner notes by Charles Edward Smith.
Personnel: J.J. Johnson (trombone); Kai Winding (trombone); Nat Adderley (cornet); Robert Alexander , Eddie Bert, Jimmy Cleveland, Urbie Green (trombone); Bart Varaslone, Tommy Mitchell (bass trombone); Hank Jones , Tommy Flanagan (piano); Albert "Tootie" Heath, Osie Johnson (drums); Candido Camero (congas, bongos).
Liner Note Authors: George Avakian; Charles Edward Smith.
Arrangers: Kai Winding; J.J. Johnson .
Two of J.J. Johnson's Columbia albums on one compact disc. The first teams up Johnson with Kai Winding and six other trombonists for an octet that truly swings on numbers like "Night in Tunisia," "Piece for Two Tromboniums," and "The Surrey With a Fringe on Top." The second album, J.J. in Person, captures a live 1958 date with his quintet playing their hearts out on "Laura," "Walkin'," "What Is This Thing Called Love," Bird's "Now's the Time," and Monk's "Misterioso." Johnson is in top form on both albums, and his onstage introductions add a personable touch to the live material. A two-fer that really works. ~ Cub Koda
Phineas Newborn, Jr.Plays Harold Arlen's Music From "Jamaica" / Fabulous Phineas (CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Curtis FullerSouth American Cooking / Magnificent Trombone Of (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duane Eddy Duane A Go Go Go / Duane Eddy Does Bob Dylan (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE