Hard Bop / Paris Concert
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|CYBER SALE:||$7.78 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.19 (48% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Art Blakey ~ A Night at Birdland, Volume 1 (Live) ~ $8.84
- by Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers ~ Only the Best of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers (3-CD) ~ $21.58
- The song "My Heart Stood Still" from the album "Hard Bop" does not appear on this compact disc due to time limitations. The album "Paris Concert" was recorded live at Olympia Music Hall.
- Released: June 7, 2004
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia C-1040 (1957)
- Original Album #2: Epic BA-17009 (1960)
Description by OLDIES.com:
This compact disc is comprised of two of Blakey's most respected albums - the critically acclaimed "Hard Bop" as well as "Paris Concert," which captures the essence of his Jazz Messengers at their performing best.
- 1.Cranky Spanky
- 2.Stella By Starlight
- 3.Little Malonae
- 4.Stanlys Stiff Chickens
- 7.Are You Real
- 8.I Remember Clifford
- 9.Just By Myself
Full performer name: Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers.
2 LP's on 1 CD: HARD BOP (1956)/PARIS CONCERT (1961).
Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers: Art Blakey (drums); Jackie McLean (alto saxophone); Bill Hardman (trumpet); Sam Dockery (piano); Spanky de Brest (bass).
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers: Art Blakey (drums); Benny Golson (tenor saxophone); Lee Morgan (trumpet); Bobby Timmons (piano); Jymie Merritt (bass).
Recorded live at Olympia Music Hall, Paris, France on November 22 and December 17, 1958.
Personnel: Art Blakey (drums); Jymie Merritt (upright bass).
Recording information: Olympia Music Hall (1956-1958).
The focus of this compilation, which reissues music from the second and third editions of the Jazz Messengers, is on the horn players, but the high-energy leadership of drummer Art Blakey is its heart. Recorded in 1956, Hard Bop actually has a distinct bop feel. Bill Hardman's fine showing on the date will surprise listeners who associate the trumpeter with a relatively limited bag of tricks. His off-kilter, rubbery, burping sound and ready supply of ideas is a major asset here. The great altoist Jackie McLean is also in fine form. Pianist Sam Dockery, an engaging player, solos mainly with his right hand, allowing Blakey and bassist Spanky Debrest to create the currents for his bright streams of single notes. The set's highlight is a cheeky treatment of McLean's great line "Little Melonae." Hard bop more accurately describes Paris Concert from the 1958 edition of the Jazz Messengers, which included charter member hard boppers Lee Morgan on trumpet and pianist Bobby Timmons. Tenor saxophonist Benny Golson impresses with power and advanced harmonic thinking similar to John Coltrane's from this period. Timmons' insistent approach is key to this band's driving sound. Similarly, bassist Jymie Merritt, although prosaic as a soloist, is indispensable as a partner in the rhythm section. The highlight of this recording from Olympia Music Hall is a 13-minute version of "Moanin'." The fiery version here arguably surpasses the one performed by this same group on the classic Jazz Messengers' Blue Note release named after the Timmons composition. ~ Jim Todd
Philly Joe JonesPhilly Joe's Beat / Philly Joe Jones & Elvin Jones Together! (CD)
$8.78 CYBER SALE
With Thelonious Monk / Blues At Carnegie Hall (CD)
$8.78 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,562
- UPC: 090431567524
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER SALE
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER SALE
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER SALE
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER SALE