Jazz Lab / Modern Jazz Perspective
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|You Save:||$5.24 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Blue Mitchell ~ Blue Soul (Keepnews Collection) [Original Recording Remastered] ~ $10.56
- by Gigi Gryce ~ The Rat Race Blues ~ $10.56
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia C-998 (1957)
- Original Album #2: Columbia C-1085 (1957)
Description by OLDIES.com:
In 1957, horn player Donald Byrd and alto sax player Gigi Gryce formed the Jazz Lab to experiment with composition and harmony. The pieces in this collection are truly ensemble works which paved the way for the jazz fusion movement.
- 2.Over The Rainbow
- 3.Nica's Tempo
- 4.Blue Concept
- 5.Little Niles
- 6.Sans Souci
- 7.I Remember Clifford
- 8.Early Morning Blues (Vocals: Jackie Paris)
- 9.Elgy (Vocals: Jackie Paris)
- 11.Steppin' Out
- 12.Social Call
- 13.An Evening In Casablanca
2 LP's on 1 CD: JAZZ LAB/MODERN JAZZ PERSPECTIVE.
Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.
Personnel: Donald Byrd (trumpet); Gigi Gryce (alto saxophone); Sahib Shihab (baritone saxophone); Julius Watkins (French horn); Benny Powell, Jimmy Cleveland (trombone); Don Butterfield (tuba); Tommy Flanagan, Wade Legge (piano); Wendell Marshall (bass); Art Taylor (drums).
MODERN JAZZ PERSPECTIVE:
Personnel: Donald Byrd (trumpet); Gigi Gryce (alto saxophone); Jackie Paris (vocals); Sahib Shihab (baritone saxophone); Julius Watkins (French horn); Jimmy Cleveland (trombone); Wynton Kelly (piano); Wendall Marshall (bass); Art Taylor (drums).
Personnel: Donald Byrd (trumpet); Gigi Gryce (alto saxophone); Jackie Paris (vocals); Sahib Shihab (baritone saxophone); Julius Watkins (French horn); Jimmy Cleveland, Benny Powell (trombone); Don Butterfield (tuba); Tommy Flanagan, Wade Legge, Wynton Kelly (piano).
Liner Note Author: Nat Hentoff.
Recording information: 1957.
The Jazz Lab Quintet was a top-flight outfit of leading players, co-led by trumpeter Donald Byrd and altoist Gigi Gryce, that was active in 1957. This re-issue pulls together two releases from that year, both featuring strong writing, arranging, and solo spots. Gryce, as chief arranger and writer, is the key figure. He's also an appealing saxophonist, playing with the same joy heard in his best-known compositions, "$Minority" and "Nica's Dream." Byrd, a faceless player at times, is in top form here, a worthy heir to Clifford Brown, whose place Byrd took in the Max Roach quintet following Brownie's death in 1956. Mention of the Roach-Brown group is pertinent, as the JLQ work a similar transitional space between bop and hard bop. Another key influence, Miles Davis' Birth of the Cool, can be heard in the six performances where the quintet is fleshed out with parts for trombone, tuba, french horn, and baritone sax. Here the arrangements evoke the close, rich harmonies of Gil Evans' arrangements for the classic Davis sessions from 1949. With the exceptions of a borderline kitschy "Over the Rainbow" and Jackie Paris' corny vocal on "Early Morning Blues," the performances and material are solid across both sessions. Highlights include great versions of Benny Golson's "Stablemates" and "I Remember Clifford," Randy Weston's "Little Niles," and several originals from Gryce. Paris also redeems himself with masterful scat singing on Byrd's "Elgy." ~ Jim Todd
Philly Joe JonesPhilly Joe's Beat / Philly Joe Jones & Elvin Jones Together! (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 38,682
- UPC: 090431567425
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Songs of Bessie Smith / The Cotton Connection (CD)(5)
$9.73 on SALE
Meet Betty Carter & Ray Bryant / Little Susie (with Ray... (CD)(5)
$10.98 on SALE
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)(2)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)(11)
$8.34 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE