Jackie DeShannon Very Best of Jackie DeShannon
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 5668
- by Spanky & Our Gang ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $5.39
- by Jackie DeShannon ~ The Complete Liberty Singles, Volume 1 - You Won't Forget Me [Import] ~ $16.11
- by Jackie DeShannon ~ Keep Me In Mind: The Complete Imperial and Liberty Singles, Volume 3 ~ $12.35
- by Dan Penn / Spooner Oldham ~ Sweet Inspiration: The Songs of Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham ~ $12.35
- by Dusty Springfield ~ The Very Best of Dusty Springfield ~ $12.56
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The extremely versatile Jackie DeShannon has had a tremendous share of musical recognition as both a singer and a songwriter. Here are ten of her most famous recordings, including her huge hits, "Put a Little Love In Your Heart," and "What the World Needs Now Is Love".
- 1.Put A Little Love In Your Heart
- 2.I Can Make It With You
- 3.Needles And Pins
- 4.Brighton Hill
- 6.What The World Needs Now Is Love
- 7.Come Stay With Me
- 8.Holly Would
- 9.Love Will Find A Way
- 10.When You Walk In The Room
Personnel: Jackie DeShannon (vocals, guitar).
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Jackie DeShannon was one of the rare people (especially for the '60s) who could not only sing and score hits, but write them too -- and for a woman that was almost unheard of. Both "Put a Little Love in Your Heart" and "When You Walk in the Room" scored not only for her but other artists, while she herself had a big hit with "Needles and Pins" by Jack Nitzsche and Sonny Bono, which, in a different version by the Searchers, heralded the start of the first jangle pop movement. Excellent as her covers are -- her "What the World Needs Now" is a classic -- it's her original work that's most illuminating, whether it's the idyllic "Brighton Hill" or the glowingly hippie-ish "Holly Would" and "Love Will Find a Way"; part of the fun is dating the songs by their lyrics. But that would dismiss her singing ability, which was superb, lending gravitas to "The Weight" and bringing a curiously mannered rasp (which works) to "When You Walk in the Room" over a budget-priced Spector-wannabe arrangement. And while the album's somewhat skimpy, with ten tracks coming in at less than 30 minutes, there's no denying the pop history that runs all through it. ~ Chris Nickson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 17 ratings.
Based on 17 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Englishmen ...Summer Is Here (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Isley Brothers Shout! (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE