Guy Clark The Dark
Only 4 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$15.71 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.27 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 9, 2002
- Label: Sugarhill
Uncut - 1/03, p.1163 stars out of 5 - "...Clark's art is nowadays honed to weary perfection..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 11/02, p.102"...Darn near essential listening..."
- 2.Arizona Star
- 3.Magnolia Wind
- 4.Soldier's Joy, 1864
- 5.Dancin' Days
- 7.Off the Map
- 8.Bag of Bones
- 9.She Loves to Ride Horses
- 10.Rex's Blues
- 11.Queenie's Song
- 12.The Dark
Personnel: Guy Clark (vocals, guitar); Verlon Thompson (vocals, guitar, National guitar, mandolin, harmonica, djembe, percussion); Darrell Scott (guitar, baritone guitar, banjo, dobro, mandolin, mandocello, accordion, marimba, bass); Chris Latham (violin); Tim O'Brien, Shawn Camp (fiddle); Gillian Welch, Dave Rawlings (background vocals).
Producers: Guy Clark, Darrell Scott, Verlon Thompson, Chris Latham.
Personnel: Guy Clark (vocals, guitar); Verlon Thompson (vocals, guitar, National guitar, mandolin, harmonica, djembe, percussion); Darrell Scott (vocals, guitar, baritone guitar, dobro, banjo, mandocello, mandolin, accordion, marimbula); Chris Latham (violin); Shawn Camp, Tim O'Brien (fiddle).
Audio Mixer: Chris Latham.
Recording information: EMI Publishing Studio.
Photographer: Se¤or McGuire.
Clark's easygoing, front-porch delivery benefits from the intimate setting provided throughout The Dark. With plenty of space around the instruments and no production clutter in the way, the essence of each song conveys clearly as well. Surprises are few, and perhaps the least-surprising aspect of this set is that it is as well-crafted as one has a right to expect from Clark. (Only one track, by Townes Van Zandt, is a cover.) Subjects range from the historical, in the gruesome yet stoic "Soldier's Joy, 1864," to reflections on more modern tragedies; in the spoken verses and weary-sung choruses of "Homeless," Clark captures the fatalism of living on the streets with vernacular eloquence. Clark turns the death of a beloved dog into a mordant lament on "Queenie's Song" and ruminates on simple, visceral pleasures on "Mud." In truth, no one track stands out; each reflects the care of a writer (or, on these songs, co-writer) and singer -- more than that, an actor for whom music is his stage, and whose high standards seem likely to persist for a long, long time. ~ Robert L. Doerschuk
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 17 ratings.
Based on 17 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Merle Haggard My Favorite Memory / Big City (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- George Jones / Tammy Wynette Golden Ring / Near You (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE