Cage The Elephant Melophobia
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 8, 2013
- Originally Released: 2013
- Label: RCA
Rolling Stone - p.723.5 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he whole thing vibrates with hopped-up discovery."
Entertainment Weekly - p.72"[T]he manic commitment of frontman Matthew Shultz carries it through, especially on the scuzzy-slinky 'It's Just Forever.'" -- Grade: B
Alternative Press3.5 stars out of 5 -- "[A}mbitious and teeming with ideas...[With the] track 'Teeth,' a bouncy, fun, spastic pop-rock song..."
- 2.Come A Little Closer
- 4.It's Just Forever - (featuring Alison Mosshart)
- 5.Take It or Leave It
- 7.Black Widow
- 10.Cigarette Daydreams
Personnel: Jeff Coffin (saxophone); Mike Haynes (trumpet); Roy Agee (trombone).
Photographer: Colin Lane.
Among new millennial '90s alt-rock revivalists, Cage the Elephant are distinguished by their elegantly sculpted melodicism and their eagerness to smooth their scuzz-rock -- equal parts Pixies and classic Nuggets -- to make their rock palatable to the masses. The two characteristics go hand and hand -- good melodies always beg for proper presentation -- and CTE's predilection for polish isn't without precedent: Pixies producer Gil Norton was many things but raw was not one of them. To their considerable credit, Cage the Elephant don't sound stuck in any one of their possible pasts on 2013's Melophobia, their third album and their most assured LP to date. Influences and heroes can be heard -- the Pixies, sure, but also the Strokes on the tightly wound "Take It or Leave It," the Kills (whose Alison Mosshart guests on "It's Just Forever") -- but Cage the Elephant aren't recycling, they're synthesizing, mashing big, and swinging jagged guitars with candied melodies, furious rhythms, a slight hint of soul, and an echo of new wave. Melophobia is a thoroughly modern rock record, where all the past is alive in the present, so if you've ever had affection for any alt-rock sound from the '80s through the 2000s, it's hard not to find something to enjoy here. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Enchantment Golden Classics, Featuring "Gloria" (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE