The Haunted Castle (1921) / Wolf Blood (1925) (Silent)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 2 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 26, 2008
- Originally Released: 1921
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||George Chesebro & Arnold Korff|
|Directed by||F.W. Murnau & George Cheseboro|
|Music by||Skip Heller & Marc Kaplan|
Description by OLDIES.com:
F.W. Murnau directed his first motion picture in 1919. His greatest achievement is Nosferatu (1922), the ground breaking vampire epic which is still studied today.
Starring Arnold Korff, Lulu Kyser-Korff, Lother Mehnert, Paul Bildt, Olga Tschechowa, Paul Hartmann; Original Score Skip Heller With Marc Kaplan; Directed by F.W. Murnau.
Wolf Blood (1925, B&W): Foreman Dick Bannister is severely injured in a logging accident and close to death. With no one around for miles, the camp surgeon gives the dying man a transfusion of wolf blood, in a desperate attempt to save his life. Dick recovers but fears that his nature has been irrevocably altered by that of the wolf. Wild rumors circulate the camp that Dick has become a wolf man. When a man is found murdered with his throat torn out and Dick cannot recall how he spent the night, he fears that he has totally lost his mind.
Starring George Chesebro, Marguerite Clayton, Ray Hanford, Roy Watson; Directed by Bruce Mitchell and George Chesebro.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Great find by Alpha of this early Murnau. The print is a smeary video transfer of a late generation duplicate, with laughably translated intertitles, but it is fully watchable because not only is the plot compelling, but ALpha did a terrific job with the music- this Skip Heller score is the best I've heard on an Alpha silent, and as good as I've heard with any silent, and it really adds to the enjoyment of the picture. Interesting direction by Murnau and set design by Hermann Warm well convey the ways in which people separate themselves from each other, which is a theme of the movie; Warm did the set design for Caligari, Student of Prague, Vampyr and, of course, The Head. The movie also shares Caligari's writer, Carl Mayer. Murnau's direction went on to dramatically improve- the camera is stagnant here, in contrast to the briliant fluidity in Sunrise just six years later- but this is still well worthwhile for fans of Murnau or fans of psychological drama.
- Sales Rank: 4,365
- UPC: 089218564399
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE