- Rated: G
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 24 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 21, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Dreamworks Animated
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround - English
- DTS Surround ES 6.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Nick Park, Peter Lord - Director
- Making Of:
- THE HATCHING OF CHICKEN RUN
- THE MAKING OF CHICKEN RUN
- Hidden Features
- Production Notes
- Biographies: Cast & Crew
- Additional Text: Fun Facts
- DVD-ROM Games:
- ESCAPE THE PIE MACHINE
- WHACK A TWEEDY
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Morning, Ginger. Back from holiday'"--Babs (Jane Horrocks) to Ginger (Julie Sawahla)
"I wasn't on holiday, Babs. I was in solitary confinement."--Ginger
"Aw...it's nice to get some time to yourself, isn't it'"
"So laying eggs all your life and then getting stuffed and roasted, that's good enough for you, is it'"--Ginger to Babs
"It's a living."
"I saw my whole life flash before my eyes! It was boring!"
- Babs on almost getting the ax
"The name's Rocky. Rocky the Rhode Island Red. Rhodes for short."--Rocky (Mel Gibson)
"Rocky Rhodes'"--Bunty (Imelda Staunton)
"You mean you weren't the pilot'"--Ginger to Fowler (Benjamin Whitrow)
"Good heavens, no! I'm a chicken! The Royal Air Force doesn't allow chickens behind the controls of complex aircraft!"
Rolling Stone - 06/08/2000
"...Devilishly clever Claymation..."
USA Today - 06/21/2000
"...Poultry has never been so stuffed with personality....A little slapstick, a little action, rich characters and a whopping serving of wit. All baked to near-perfection." -- 3.5 out of 4 stars
New York Times - 06/21/2000
"...[CHICKEN RUN] will hypnotize the young...[And] is packed with the kind of detail that adults will like, too....It's immensely satisfying, a divinely relaxed and confident film."
Total Film - 07/01/2000
"...Aardman's laid a golden egg which offers plenty of poultry powered thrills..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
Premiere - 12/01/2000
"...Pleasures abound, particularly the dizzying pie-machine sequence." -- 3 out of 5 stars -- A Satisfying Rental
Rolling Stone - 07/06/2000
"...CHICKEN RUN is a spectacular piece of stop-motion, clay-figure animation....A world of visual miracles..."
Los Angeles Times - 06/21/2000
"...The humor in CHICKEN RUN is genial and playful, able to treat the wildest concepts with total seriousness....The film never loses its priceless stamp of individuality..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 06/23/2000
"...A magical new animated film that looks and sound like no other....Not only funny and wicked, clever and visually inventive, but kind and sweet. Tender and touching..."
Facing imminent death while laying eggs at Tweedy's English farm, a group of chickens, led by the determined Ginger (Julia Sawahla, BBC-TV's ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS), plan to escape their prisonlike coop. The situation goes from bad to worse when the sinister Mrs. Tweedy (Miranda Richardson) decides to stop selling eggs and use the hens as the main ingredient in chicken pot pies. However, some hope literally falls from the sky in the form of Rocky (Mel Gibson), an American rooster who promises to teach the chickens how to fly. As the hens begin their struggle to get airborne, the monstrous pie-making machine arrives, giving the chickens precious little time to make their great escape.
Aardman Studios' first full-length feature film is a stunning showcase of stop-motion animation. Utilizing the unique Plasticine designs of the acclaimed WALLACE & GROMIT and CREATURE COMFORT shorts, CHICKEN RUN features vibrant visuals and colorful characters that are immediately endearing. (The naive and constantly knitting Babs, voiced by Jane Horrocks, is particularly hilarious.) With its clever writing, witty film references, and pitch-perfect combination of comedy, drama, and romance, CHICKEN RUN is one of those rare movies that genuinely appeals to viewers of every age.
This engaging stop-motion, claymation adventure tells the story of an American rooster who falls in love with a gorgeous hen on a British farm. The couple decides to run away from the farm, but they must first contend with the evil farmer who is intent on keeping them under her control. Brought to you by the creative team behind WALLACE AND GROMIT, CHICKEN RUN is an animated work of entertainment for individuals of every age.
Family (General) |
Stop-Motion Animation |
- Theatrical release: June 21, 2000 (N.Y./L.A.); June 23, 2000 (national).
- The Plasticine characters in CHICKEN RUN were often moved 24 times for every second of exposed film. At the height of the movie's production, up to 40 stop-motion animators worked around the clock to capture just 10 seconds of footage per day.
- Phil Daniels was the star of the cult film QUADROPHENIA (1979) and also contributed vocals to the 1994 British hit single "Parklife" by Blur.
- Paul Clinton of cnn.com, Jan Stuart and Gene Seymour of Newsday, Desson Howe of the Washington Post, A.O. Scott of the New York Times, Jeff Strickler of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Lisa Schwarzbaum of Entertainment Weekly, the Austin Chronicle, and Time magazine named CHICKEN RUN one of the 10 best films of 2000.
- The National Board of Review, the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the New York Film Critics Circle, the Florida Film Critics Circle, and the Broadcast Film Critics Association named CHICKEN RUN Best Animated Feature of 2000.
- The Las Vegas Film Critics Society named CHICKEN RUN Best Family Film of 2000.
- CHICKEN RUN was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture--Musical or Comedy.
- CHICKEN RUN was the feature-film winner at the 15th Annual Genesis Awards: "The only major media and arts award concerning animal issues, the Genesis Award is presented by The Ark Trust, Inc. to honor outstanding individuals in the major media and artistic community who have communicated animal-rights and animal-welfare issues with courage, artistry and integrity."