The Avons Golden Classics Edition
|CYBER SALE:||$7.78 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.19 (48% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Collegians ~ Zoom Zoom Zoom ~ $3.99
Available in a set:
- by Various Artists ~ Only the Best of the Great Groups, Volume 7 (10-CD Bundle Pack) ~ $39.98
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Originally called The Robins, The Avons made the short trip across the Hudson from their New Jersey roots to find stardom in New York. During the late '50s the group was signed to Hull Records where they began cutting the tunes that soon got them radio exposure. This collection features "Our Love Will Never End", "I'm Sending An S.O.S." and the other tunes the group is fondly remembered for.
- 1.Our Love Will Still Be There
- 2.I'm Sending S.O.S
- 5.You Are So Close To Me
- 6.Gonna Catch You Nappin'
- 7.What Would I Do
- 8.Please Come Back To Me
- 9.What Love Can Do
- 10.On The IsIand
- 11.Whisper (Softly)
- 12.If I Just Had My Way
- 13.A Girl To Call My Own
- 14.Grass Is Greener
- 15.Someone For Everyone
- 16.Fairy Tales
Incluldes liner notes by Mark Marymont.
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Whether singing up-tempo tunes, ballads, or humorous songs, the Avons glistened like diamonds. These finely tuned tracks are spit-polished to a high sheen; no garage or storefront doo wop here. Spearheaded by a gifted lead tenor (Ervin Watson), the Avons' vocal abilities maintain their sophisticated aura even when a blistering tenor sax -- featured on their up-tempo numbers -- honks, squeals, and squawks like it's trying to exorcise demons. Their roots aren't strictly doo wop; like the Moonglows (and the Four Tops), they show a strong affection for modern harmony and groups like the Mills Brothers, which is most obvious on their ballads. The New Jersey natives were every bit as talented as their labelmates, the Heartbeats, but never had a big record. Salting the wound, Uncle Sam drafted at least four Avons during their short tenure for military duty, causing the remaining members to spend far too much time recruiting new Avons. They originally called themselves the Robins (a more appropriate name, as they sang like birds), but became the Avons after discovering that a Los Angeles group had already claimed the moniker. ~ Andrew Hamilton
Little Joe Cook & The Thrillers / The SchoolboysLittle Joe Cook & The Thrillers Meet The Schoolboys (CD)
$7.98 CYBER SALE
Encyclopedia of Doo Wop, Volume 5 (4-CD Box Set+Book)
$41.58 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 48,502
- UPC: 090431563526
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 101 Strings Orchestra Treasury of Christmas (3-CD) ~ $7.87 CYBER SALE
- 21 Guns Salute (CD) ~ $13.37 CYBER SALE
- 2nd II None Classic 220 (CD-R) ~ $11.98 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac Best of 2Pac Pt. 1: Thug (CD) ~ $9.45 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac The Best of Pt. 1: Thug [Clean] (CD) ~ $6.44 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales The Complete Apollo Sessions (2-CD) ~ $16.56 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales The Five Royales (CD) ~ $5.78 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales It's Hard But It's Fair: King Hits and Rarities (CD) ~ $12.35 CYBER SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER SALE
- Nicky Addeo & The Night Owls Seaside Serenade (CD) ~ $3.19 CYBER SALE